Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Player taking forrevverrrrr to decide

I just joined a home game (cash) where one of the players takes a ridiculously long time to make the most trivial of decisions. This will happen well over 50% of the time. I have no problem if people ONCE IN A WHILE need a lot of time to make an important decision, but not on every other hand. Besides this annoying habit, he is a nice guy.

For example: if he holds J9, the flop is K63 and he gets bet into, he may take a full minute or more to decide to muck the hand. He isn't thinking about whether or not he should bluff raise or bluff call (with the intention of bluffing the turn) because he doesn't do that. He just takes forever to think.

He won't always delay, but he does it often enough that we see at least ~25% less hands per hour (probably more). I get the impression that others get frustrated too, but they don't openly tell him to hurry up.

I will be hosting the cash game this weekend at my apt. Is there any way I can nicely tell people that taking a long time to think too often is not going to be tolerated? I am the new guy, so I feel that I have to be very nice about this request.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Player taking forrevverrrrr to decide

Make a clock rule, 60 secs max after clock called to make a decision or instafold. And any player can call clock.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make a clock rule, 60 secs max after clock called to make a decision or instafold. And any player can call clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I may be the only one who would call the clock... making me look like a jerk.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM

You may have to suck it up for a while until you get more into the group. If you run a good game at your house (refreshments, smooth chip purchases, nice atmosphere, etc) and get the sense that people enjoy and respect it, then after a couple of times you can introduce it. It would probably help if you had some other friends who weren't part of this new crowd there so it was more of "your" space than you as the new guy. Just say something like, "I'd like to keep the game going at a decent clip, so please try to make decisions in a timely manner. To that end, anyone can call for the clock on someone..." and leave it at that. When it comes up, let it go the first couple of times, then politely call for the clock on him.

It's a touchy situation, I hope you can handle it well. No saying how it will go, but maybe it's something you can just learn to live with if you feel it's not the time yet. We had a similar situation with a guy in our game, and someone complained about it, so I implemented the clock rule and announced it. However, this was for our tournaments, so I had the very real reason of "we're on a schedule here" which helped not offend anybody.

But since it's someone else's game right now, maybe not much you can do. Try not to let it bug you, just adjust to the pace of the game. Use the time to go get a drink or something.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 PM

I really hate the advice I am about to give. I really, really hate it.

Next time you are in a pot against him, take more time than he usually takes. Play with your chips, talk to yourself, etc. I hate that advice, but it might get a message across.

Even if the guy doesn't get it, the other players might see two guys doing this and start a clock or something else on their own.

I hate this advice. It's passive-aggressive. Good luck dude.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Why not just ask him nicely if he could make his decisions faster?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, good idea. Forget what I said.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may do this, but I'll have to be careful not to sound too confrontational.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 AM

The advice to take a long time will probably backfire. It'll send the subconscious message that he's doing the right thing.

First thing I'd do is see if you're on the same team as the rest of the crew. Make a couple comments away from the table when one of your buddies is getting a beer or whatever. If you don't have any buy-in or agreement from at least a couple other guys, you're screwed so give it up. Once you know who agrees with you, get them to share the burden so you won't be the jerk. If there's a clock, take turns calling it. Trivially easy if you have consensus. Slightly more difficult if it's half and half.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM

IMO you need to be confrontational. Simply tell him to hurry up and mention the fact that many of his decisions aren't really decisions at all. You cannot slow down a game and annoy people, and lose hands per hour, because of ONE guy's silliness. Install a clock rule if need be. Main point is to act on this, you need to correct it.