Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 AM

Default JJ against TAG, draws on flop

Hi everyone, here is my first post on 2+2 board even if I'm reading it for a couple of months.

I played a hand yesterday, and after discussing it with friends, they thought my call on turn was bad. I don't have HH here so I'm posting it from "memories" (not sure it's the right word, I'm french ^^)

I play NL25 6-Handed (PartyPoker). My opponent and me are almost 100 BB deep, he covers me for a few $.
He's TAG from what I have seen, and he 3-Bet one time in CO a UTG-Raiser (I folded JJ in BB). I think I'm quite LAG at this table, and I've just showed a missed bluff previous hand (45 suited).

I raise 1$ J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in an unopened pot in CO, button fold, SB (villain) calls 1, BB folds.

Flop (2$): 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks
I bet 1.5$
Villain calls 1.5$

Turn (5$): 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks
I bet 4$
Villains raises 21$ (allin)
I call

What do you think of this call and how I played the hand ? Which hand can he hold in your opinion to do such a move ?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: JJ against TAG, draws on flop

Considering his image as a TAG, I dont think he would call this flop with just 2 overcards, so the call would make me very suspicious. As I dont think you are up against a straight ( TAGs usually dont call A5s out of the blind ) you could be up against a set already.

As you really dont like this turn card, my play would be to check the turn for pot control and to induce a bluff on the river.

The check raise all in really means strength and I doubt he would do this with 77-TT, so I fold this hand.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 AM

I think he could have called me with AQs or SC (TJ, T9, etc), but I didn't put him on AA/KK/QQ because he would have certainely 3Bet me OOP. Any small pocket pair was in his hand range imo.

What's made me think he didn't had a set on that flop is I just showed I can raise in position with some small SC and on that flop, a set would have been a bit scary, and I don't think he could just have check/call with 33 here (and it was definately not AA, KK or QQ).

On turn I was quite annoyed because 55 found a straight and 66 a set, but if so, why raising me allin ? I didn't find a hand which would do that except a semi-bluff hand or totally bluff. And on what hand could he put me on ? I think he knew I had an overpair and my almost PB turn was here to say "I don't want you to draw". He sensed weakness and try to push me off this hand. That's why I called.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Your friends are right. JJ is an easy laydown, AA would put me in a tough spot.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Your reasoning doesn't make any sense. He sensed weakness how? You raised PF, bet the flop and followed up on the turn. That looks like a pretty strong hand to me. He likely raised all-in to protect his straight or set against the flush draw, and to get you to call with an overpair.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 PM

I don't think AA would have played the hand this way : he's OOP and just call my preflop raise. On a board whith draws, he just checked/called and on turn, he checked/reraised allin ?
From my point of view, he didn't have AA, KK or QQ.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 PM

it's a fold on the turn, you only beat 77-TT here, whereas 22-66 beat u, and so does QQ-AA (unlikely though).
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for all the answers. He had 88 in fact, but it seems everyone agrees to say it was a bad call. I'll try to remember it next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong (just started playing and I'm kind of a newbie) but this looks like a call to me.

You're beating 77-TT - 24 Combos
You're losing to 22-44, 55, 66 - 18 Combos
There's a small chance you're up against KK-AA - 18 Combos, but this is unlikely so maybe assign it 9 Combos.

This looks like you're beating 24 Hands and losing to 27. If you add in a bluff probability that puts you a little above 50/50 (I assume TAGs bluff occassionally).

You're getting about 1.75 to 1 on your money and you're 1 to 1.

I think I woulda called this...it may be a leak though.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM

What do you mean by Combos ?