Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Foxwoods 4/8 prefloppa \'gainst a 2p2ah

Table is moderately loose and aggro. They seem to have an impression of me as a bluffer for whatever reason (although I basically only value-bet with good hands), not that it's particularly relevant this decision.

Anyway someone in EP open-limps, and a 2p2er on my immediate right in the HJ, who is solid but a little bit nitty raises, and I look down at A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 4/8 prefloppa \'gainst a 2p2ah

Call. flop the royal.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM

3-town. coldcalling is meh, and folding is meh, to me at least here. something like ato i would fold, and i'd 3bet aqo or aqs, so i feel like ajs should be a 3bet too. i am not totally sure we're ahead of the other guy's range though, if we give him like 66+, kj+, at+, assuming he's solid and is just isoing the limper. but i think we have some fold equity on a lot of flops and will be able to own/get away from our hand on the flop pretty easily.

the reason i don't like coldcalling is that this way we take the initiative, and if 2p2er misses the flop we have a good chance to take it away from him right there.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 PM

Sometimes I would cold-call here, other times I would reraise. I don't think you should fold.

3-betting could get you HU with the HJ who might be raising light on an isolation play. I think reraising will also usually get you the initiative and you can get some bluff equity if your opponent(s) miss the board.

[ QUOTE ]
They seem to have an impression of me as a bluffer for whatever reason (although I basically only value-bet with good hands), not that it's particularly relevant this decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this could be relevant to this decision. If your opponents in this hand think you are a 'bluffer', I think they will give you less credit for a hand if you do continuation bet UI, and you will lack some bluff equity you otherwise would have...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Who's in the blinds? If they are rather loose, then 3-betting for isolation simply may not work; I think cold-calling is probably better in that case. If they are otherwise, I like reraising a bit more.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 PM

I hate coldcalling. If you are going to play, 3-bet. Getting the button and the dead money from the blinds is worth one more small bet. This would be particularly true if you believe that HJ is iso raising. I think that coldcalling would would be correct only if you were quite sure that at least two more were coming behind you.

If I knew that HJ was a tight raiser and doesn't know what iso raising is, I could find a fold.

I can't help but notice that you and BigBadBabar are playing at Foxwoods and at 4/8.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 AM

is he positionally aware with is PFR? i don't know what you mean by nitty. one interpretation would lean towards one course of action and another would lean me towards doing something completely different.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is he positionally aware with is PFR? i don't know what you mean by nitty. one interpretation would lean towards one course of action and another would lean me towards doing something completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey James,

He's definitely positionally aware and definitely capable of making an isolation play. What I meant by "nitty" was that he's a little weak-tight postflop.

Edited to say for whoever was asking:

The blinds are fairly loose but not incredibly so. They'd give some respect to a 3-bet.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't help but notice that you and BigBadBabar are playing at Foxwoods and at 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not Babar, though he and I are friends and were there together. He was at a different table.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 AM

yeah, we don't sit at the same tables obviously. ricks, do you play there also?