Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Super system / Super system 2

I havent read either, and I play mainly NL Holdem, I play some limit, but not much. I know how to play other games just not very well, so I was looking for a book that talks about other games aswell, I am starting to play in the bigger home games around my LA area and a lot of them are mixed games. I figured Super system would be a good book because I know it goes over a lot of different games.

Should I just order super system 2 or is there anything worthy that isnt in Super system 2 that is in super system 1.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Super system / Super system 2

Get SS2 is better because a lot of the games in SS1 are played differently now. They didnt play with an 8 qualifier for the high/low games. The no-limit section I think is the same as in SS1 but it might be a revised one. Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Supersystem2
you're welcome
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Is the NLHE advice relevant to today's games?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 PM

SS1 has a great section on 7 card stud by Chip Reese that is still relevant today. I myself am learning stud right now and it was my introduction. Like Rob said, if you want to learn hi/low games, SS2 is a great place to start whether it's stud or omaha.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 AM

I'm more interested in Omaha games, more than Stud, but I will want to learn stud soon aswell.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 AM

Super System 1 is nice for Stud, but that's about it. Caro's odds tables can be found at his homepage and the NL section didn't change. So overall you are much better off with SS2 and as the other poster has already pointed out, you can read it for free on Doyle's page.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM

You should own both- read the chapters on the games you want to learn and then read the other chapters when you get bored, you can pick up alot of "Good Advice" in poker. Really, you want to be a poker player that can play anygame and hold his own, whenever it should arise. If you were playing in a home mixed game would you be afraid of the guy who was only good at holdem and sucked at everything else and asked questions on "what are we playing, which hand is better, who bets first?" or the guy that answers the questions- and raises.

I play in 2 games that are both mixed- 1. is Pot limit Holdem and Pot limit Omaha(1 orbit each). 2 the other game is 1 orbit, stud, holdem, draw, Omaha-8.

In the 1st game lots of people come in for the Hold em and play Omaha like they would play Hold'em. So I play real tight in the Holdem orbit and wait for the Omaha- Thats where the money is for me in that game. Plus Pot limit is an animal few "know" how to control.

The second game- know your starting hands in stud, omaha, and play fundementals- really be aggressive in the games you sense weakness
Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Buy them both, there's good stuff in both and you can learn things from games you don't play that apply to the ones you do. I play Kansas City Lowball in my mixed game so SS1 is invaluable as no other book has strategy for this.