Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Social conventions that you think are dumb

There are a lot of social conventions that I think are dumb. Here are two that I think are really dumb.

Not eating at a restaurant until everyone has gotten their food.

I actually think the spirit of this convention is okay, but a lot of people take it way too seriously. Is it really such a huge faux pas if someone forgets and starts eating their dinner 30 seconds early? If someone else gets their food before me, I have no problem with them eating before me. I don't get jealous that they are eating before me. And I think it is stupid for someone to let their food get cold just because of me.

The thing that bothers me the most about this "rule" is that very often the person who has not been served yet will genuinely tell everyone else to eat, but everyone will refuse because they don't want to look rude. I'll go as far to say that anyone who gets offended by someone eating their dinner 30 seconds before them is a nit.

Opening doors for women

Is opening a car door that difficult? I have no problem treating a girl very well and doing stuff to make her feel special, but opening doors just seems so superficial and pointless. If any girl thought less of me because I did not walk all the way around my car just to open her door, then I probably don't want to have anything to do with her.

And I'm not saying that if I walk into a building with a girl I'm gonna let the door slam in her face. Sometimes I'll hold the door open for her let her walk through first, and sometimes I'll open the door and just hold it as she walks behind me, and sometimes I'll expect her to open the door cause she happens to be walking in front of me and there is no point in tripping over each other just so I can open a door.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Social conventions that you think are dumb

I think the title of this thread would be better if it was "You know what grinds my gears?"
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not eating at a restaurant until everyone has gotten their food.

[/ QUOTE ]
You only have to do this if the food is cold. If the food is hot, you are allowed to eat it.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:16 PM

wearing suits. mark cuban addressed this in a recent blog post

tipping. it causes a lot of confusion and animosity for both servers and customers. there should be a better way to compensate/motivate employees.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the title of this thread would be better if it was "You know what grinds my gears?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I already made a post with that title a couple of weeks ago. And thats not what I'm really talking about here anyway. There's a lot of stuff that people do that grinds my gears, but aren't social conventions.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opening doors for women

Is opening a car door that difficult? I have no problem treating a girl very well and doing stuff to make her feel special, but opening doors just seems so superficial and pointless. If any girl thought less of me because I did not walk all the way around my car just to open her door, then I probably don't want to have anything to do with her.

And I'm not saying that if I walk into a building with a girl I'm gonna let the door slam in her face. Sometimes I'll hold the door open for her let her walk through first, and sometimes I'll open the door and just hold it as she walks behind me, and sometimes I'll expect her to open the door cause she happens to be walking in front of me and there is no point in tripping over each other just so I can open a door.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hold doors open for whomever happens to need to go through the door, male or female. It's just polite.

-McGee
Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Leaving the toilet seat down. I haven't heard of a SINGLE good reason why this is supposed to happen.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Two months salary on an engagement ring
Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving the toilet seat down. I haven't heard of a SINGLE good reason why this is supposed to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Women appreciate this since they always have to sit down to go potty.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two months salary on an engagement ring

[/ QUOTE ]

having to buy an engagement ring in the first place is dumber imo