Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 AM

Default KK facing unexpected flop action

BB is 17/8/1.76 over just 30 hands which doesn't say much but he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary yet and seems to be a competent player on this level.

In retrospect I believe I made a huge mistake here and gave away the pot to an inferior hand.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.4SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.2BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (11.2BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, CO folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: 11.2BB

Flop is perfect so even though BBs bet is a bit unexpected I raise but suddenly BB 3-bet. I call (basically because it just made me confused). Then he confidently bets out on the turn and I think forever and almost run out of time when I decide to give him credit for a set and fold. That's what went on during the hand.

In retrospect I probably should have capped the flop and reevaluate on turn. I don't believe he has 2pair so that leaves a set and A9s. What bothers me is that I feel that he would have c/r the flop or turn with a set, but I might be wrong.

Another reason for my thinking that he's holding A9s is that he's been seeing me play pretty aggressively and taking down a few pots without showing. A9s would well be within his range to call a raise from the BB. Getting TP on the flop he might well think that I'm having two good overs but nothing else. He leads out and 3-bets because he doesn't believe I have anything but high cards.

So my line should have been cap flop, call down if he continues betting turn/river or bet if he checks.

Any flames/thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Re: KK facing unexpected flop action

Cap the flop, and do not fold the turn.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 AM

If you think it's A9 or a set, then it's pretty to figure out where you stand. There are 12 potential A9 hands, and 9 set hands. So you are ahead slightly more often than behind. The flop cap and leading the turn is correct if this is the case.

Personally, I'm rarely capping the flop with just a pair over top pair. Absent the read that this is A9, I call down from here.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop, and do not fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 AM

The pot is large on the turn and you don't know much about your opponent to be folding; thirty hands and a vague impression that he plays competently simply isn't enough. You're playing with fire making potentially expensive folds like these.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Thanx, I agree with you both. I should have seen it down to the river.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 AM

a read on CO would have been somewhat useful here as that flop is dry....ie why is he calling calling calling?

anyway I'd call down from the turn unless CO gets frisky. oh and Im happier calling down this player than I am many of the other worse players at that limit on stars. why? because I reckon players like this ARE capable of 3 betting you on the flop and donking to avoid giving your 'two overcards' a free card. many fish simply arent going to 3bet/donk in this manner unless they have 2 pair or better.

you should also have some hidden outs here...especially if CO is calling with random crap that hopes to spike a pair to win.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM

You should definately cap the flop. Even if you're sometimes behind you want to make CO pay for whateer it is that he's drawing to.

On the turn it doesn't look good but you should stil call down because the pot is pretty big. If he's somewhat competent he would play A9 or K9 exactly the way he did, hoping for you to be sitting on two overcards which after the fold is probably ewhat he thought you had.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Why fold the turn? The pot is large and you have a strong and. There are lots of hands that BB could have that you beat.

I start with capping the flop for value. As played, I raise the turn. You are wanting to get CO out of this big pot.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 AM

As I said, during the hand I was giving BB credit for set and folded (which was obviously wrong). Oh well..next time...I'll make another mistake instead.