Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Default AA24 on a 557 flop, PLO8

http://www.pokerhand.org/?776249

I raise AA24 preflop, find 4 callers.
Flop is 557 with a flush draw I don't have.
I bet $25 and reraise/push my opponent's raise.

I really find it hard to figure out my opponent's range in in situations like this, where there are flush draws, low draws, straight draws, and possible trips/boats.

I'm slightly behind a bare 5 with no low draws; way behind a 5 with low draw; favorite against A2xx with just a flush draw; and I'm not sure what my equity is against a variety of A2+straight draw hands.

How would you guys have played it on the flop?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: AA24 on a 557 flop, PLO8

mustafa does not bluff, and doesn't semibluff too frequently.

it's generally better not to gamble with him.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:21 AM

I really agree with Dave on this.

If Mustafa and Galatica Kid didn't play PLO then I might still be there. LOL. Been 7-8 months since I played PLO/8. Those were the two toughest at that level.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really agree with Dave on this.

If Mustafa and Galatica Kid didn't play PLO then I might still be there. LOL. Been 7-8 months since I played PLO/8. Those were the two toughest at that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

moral of the story is that they are both essentially nut peddlers. they aren't very dangerous.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 AM

I second that!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Yeha I agree with DaveB...I play with Mustafa all the time and I have him figured out...He doesn't semi-bluff (at least against me)...I give him way more respect than I do any of my other opponents at the $100 level...Against him I would check it to him...If he bets he has you beat and I would peel one off and then fold the turn if I didn't hit my low or my A...I have tried to get him to bet my good hands for me and he just won't do it...He won't bluff when I check it to him after I raise preflop...I learned my lesson the hard way by pushing my huge draws into him when he hit a naked set on the flop and having my draws go to [censored]...

Mustafa makes a lot of his money at the lower levels by taking a shot on his sets coming in and having people overplay their hands like you did...Not saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing if I didn't know his tendancies on the contrary I woulda played it the same way against most of my opponents, but watch out for this when you play him...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeha I agree with DaveB...I play with Mustafa all the time and I have him figured out...He doesn't semi-bluff (at least against me)...I give him way more respect than I do any of my other opponents at the $100 level...Against him I would check it to him...If he bets he has you beat and I would peel one off and then fold the turn if I didn't hit my low or my A...I have tried to get him to bet my good hands for me and he just won't do it...He won't bluff when I check it to him after I raise preflop...I learned my lesson the hard way by pushing my huge draws into him when he hit a naked set on the flop and having my draws go to [censored]...

Mustafa makes a lot of his money at the lower levels by taking a shot on his sets coming in and having people overplay their hands like you did...Not saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing if I didn't know his tendancies on the contrary I woulda played it the same way against most of my opponents, but watch out for this when you play him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads up.

But even against your usual players, it seems like it's hard to play this hand. There's 5 players seeing the flop, and I'm 3rd to act. I see two checks - should I just be checking here with the assumption that someone has hit at least a 5? Do I have enough equity to peel a pot sized bet if so? It seems too tight to check fold here. So, is bet fold the right move? Questions like these = I'm probably a newb [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Yeah this is a really tough one...I would say that you have to exercise pot control in this hand because you don't have the flush draw and probably somebody has hit something that beats your AA24, which really sucks because it is a really damn good hand preflop...I really don't think a check-call and peel one off wouldn't be the worst play...With that many people in the flop I would assume that somebody hit some of it...Might be the vagina way of playing it but I would proceed with caution...Also I would use position to my advantage...While you aren't in last position you are in the middle so you can get some info if you check here...If the button was the one betting I would be VERY suspicious and would definitely think he may be trying to steal...

Again I only play $100-$200 PLO8 so I might be way too tight, so take it for what it's worth...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM

Honestly I'm suprised he didn't flip A255.

Funny story about mustafa... one time nikki hit a wheel against mustafa's flopped top set. Proceeded to annihilate him in the chat over the next 10 minutes telling him how nobody likes his style of play and he's uncreative, blah blah blah. M gave him his 10 minutes then took his investment back plus some on a similar all-in after his rebuy.

M actually responded in the chat, basically just defending himself... nothing crazy. (Don't tap the aquarium?)
On a side note has anyone seen nikki lately? Been a while since I sat at PS and saw money raining down from the ceiling.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny story about mustafa... one time nikki hit a wheel against mustafa's flopped top set. Proceeded to annihilate him in the chat over the next 10 minutes telling him how nobody likes his style of play and he's uncreative, blah blah blah. M gave him his 10 minutes then took his investment back plus some on a similar all-in after his rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always quite enjoyed the Mustafa/Nikki arguments, since I've witnessed quite a few. I think I may have crept into Nikki's #1 most-hated slot in the past months though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]