Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Turn decision.

20-40 live 9 handed.

Two MP players limp, the button raises(He can be raising with a fairly wide range of hands here from Ace suited, small pocket pairs, however, more often than not he has a premium hand here. He is capable of semibluff betting and raising and can make a laydown if he feels he is beat. He is not a world beater by any means. He views me has a very tight player and gives me sometimes too much respect.) The SB calls, and I call in the BB with AdTs.

The flop: Th8c4s

Checked to me, I decide to bet out since there is no guarantee the button will bet and my hand is vulnerable. One MP calls(super loose terrible player), the button raises, I reraise, the MP folds and the button gives me a dirty look and calls. I suspect he has an overpair but fears my three bet from the BB.

The turn: Th8s4cAh.

How do we proceed from here in order to maximize my win.

I will chime in with my ideas after I hear from you. Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Turn decision.

It seems like he'd fold to a bet so if you check he might think he's winning with his overpair. I don't know if you'd get a bet from him or crazy on the turn. But if you bet out you might lose them both right there. I think check-calling the turn and c/r the river is your best bet or betting out the river, which is what I'd do if nobody bet the turn.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 AM

I think you should bet the turn. If he has QQ or KK he might not bet the turn fearing that you flopped a set but he might call you down. I think that you overplayed the hand on the flop though with the 3 bet.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 AM

The flop 3-bet is fine if it gets MP to fold a six outer. I would also have been planning on checking the turn once it was HU as we can't fold a five outer on the turn should button raise. I figure if button was FCP the flop with an Ax hand he only has 3 outs so the free card isn't terrible should that be the case and I save a bet when behind. Anyone disagree with this??

As for the turn I would just lead out. The ace doesn't necessarily help you in buttons mind if he was behind to begin with and went into CD mode. He may raise this however if he was FCP the flop. Which, of course, is good for you
Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop 3-bet is fine if it gets MP to fold a six outer. I would also have been planning on checking the turn once it was HU as we can't fold a five outer on the turn should button raise. I figure if button was FCP the flop with an Ax hand he only has 3 outs so the free card isn't terrible should that be the case and I save a bet when behind. Anyone disagree with this??

As for the turn I would just lead out. The ace doesn't necessarily help you in buttons mind if he was behind to begin with and went into CD mode. He may raise this however if he was FCP the flop. Which, of course, is good for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the villain's description, I highly doubt he was raising the flop with {AK-AJ}. {T8s+,ATo,QJs,J9s,Q9s,88+} seems much more reasonable, with some of the weaker suited hands discounted and maybe a few crap FCP hands thrown in. I can't figure out how to re download pokerstove, so I'll just estimate we are about 55% against his range, so given MP is still in there, we definitely need to be 3-betting the flop.

I don't see any room for creativity on the turn. After we showed all that strength on the flop he'll probably check behind most hands we beat and maybe b/f JJ-KK. So the best way to maximize earn is pretty clearly betting and calling down if raised.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 AM

I don't really understand why you bet the flop to prevent it from getting checked through then 3 bet.

On the turn you bet and if raised you decide whether or not he has AA and then you act accordingly.

Your flop play still makes no [censored] sense.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop 3-bet is fine if it gets MP to fold a six outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point and not one I thought of. But I'm don't think OP had this in mind at all.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand why you bet the flop to prevent it from getting checked through then 3 bet.

On the turn you bet and if raised you decide whether or not he has AA and then you act accordingly.

Your flop play still makes no [censored] sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, if you are goint to play AT in that spot, you are hoping for a T, AT, or JQK, theres not much else that wont put you in a trouble spot, so I when I hit one of my flops, I bet out, looking to 3 bet and get a sense of where I am as soon as possible, and taking control of the hand ASAP along with getting HU more than likely, thats why I would play it aggro, then I lead the turn, if he raises, you have a better sense where your at, taking into account what teh OP said about the guy over-respecting him
Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I when I hit one of my flops, I bet out, looking to 3 bet and get a sense of where I am as soon as possible,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very exploitable and expensive line versus a solid player. I thik c/r-calling for the same money is just as expensive and *much* better. Bet-calling might also be ok too.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so I when I hit one of my flops, I bet out, looking to 3 bet and get a sense of where I am as soon as possible,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very exploitable and expensive line versus a solid player. I thik c/r-calling for the same money is just as expensive and *much* better. Bet-calling might also be ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if your the button, a good player, and are c/r'ed on that flop, you realize that your opponent is trying to get it HU, and he isnt screaming strength, I dont like that. If you lead/3-bet that screams to him, "Im strong". the main fact though is that that he gives you too much respect, we arent talking about teh stereotypical situation that some over-aggro players try to justify by saying "to see where Im at". this is a guy who will yeild to you, and if he does play back, more than likely he isnt making a move.

PS, VS a solid player, who doesnt give me too much respect, I think a bet/call strat is the best.