Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Default true value of a bluff

In your opinions, over the course of time, what percent of a great overall players profit result directly from bluffs? I continually find that at the end of a winning session, I can rarely attribute much of my winnings to bluffs that went well, however at the end of the losing sessions nearly 100 percent of the time I can look back on 3 failed bluffs and end up being down 3 buyins. How often over the course of 1000 hands are you guys pushing stone cold bluffs, based on the assumption that the LAG youre playing against cant call off all their chips in a perticular spot.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: true value of a bluff

I'm interested to hear the replies of some of the higher stakes players too.

But remember, the value of a bluff isn't just an overall profit, it's advertisment to get paid when you do have a hand. Little harder to computate. Obviously, if you never bluff you'l have a hard time getting paid with your monsters and people will tend to just fold when you raise (rock), so it's a significant factor.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM

yes i agree this adds a little bit of an incomputable value to hands that appear to be bluffing.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 PM

Some sessions I know bluffs are worthless and I do even attempt one. Other sessions if it were not for the other player(s) folding (to bluffs) I would not be cashing out chips. As an example, checked to me in the cutoff and I raise because I know the button and blinds are weak players and they will likely fold by the river under betting pressure by myself.

Bluffing is not really doing anything except knowing the another player(s) will fold unless they hold a hand of a certain value.

I do not see how you can put a percentage on a quantity of of bluffs? Bluffing is just to dynamic to state, I bluff 3% of my hands.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Bluffing is just value betting cards you don't have...

AB
Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes i agree this adds a little bit of an incomputable value to hands that appear to be bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That value isn't little, it's huge in any serious game.

Why would any thinking player ever call with a hand less than what you're representing if you never bluff?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would any thinking player ever call with a hand less than what you're representing if you never bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they think you might be bluffing. When they calculate this in, they might be profitable calling.

Apart from winning pots you shouldn't have, the big value of the bluff lies in the fact that you'll get called more often if you bluff sometimes. If you never bluff people will always know what to do if they have a descent idea of your hand. If you bluff sometimes you leave them guessing and get a lot more value out of your real hands as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because most of them are fish and they don't know what you are representing [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because most of them are fish and they don't know what you are representing [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but this is a situation where you should hardly bluff at all. You get the calls you want on your big hands anyway and if you bluff you're likely to lose if they call.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested to hear the replies of some of the higher stakes players too.

But remember, the value of a bluff isn't just an overall profit, it's advertisment to get paid when you do have a hand. Little harder to computate. Obviously, if you never bluff you'l have a hard time getting paid with your monsters and people will tend to just fold when you raise (rock), so it's a significant factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Mice only win monsters when nuts v. 2nd nuts. Bluffers not so.