Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 PM

Default 2/4 HORSE stud hi - lame AA fold

My only read on villain is that he hasn't done anything obviously stupid in 1 full HORSE rotation.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.63 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] brings in
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.63 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.31 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (3.31 BB)

Was I supposed to call him down here?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: 2/4 HORSE stud hi - lame AA fold

Why are you even in this hand to begin with? Pretty marginal to me. The fact that the table is shorthanded might make a difference though.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 PM

Yes, normally I just nut peddle these games and I wouldn't play short handed out of choice, but a load of players just left.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 PM

Well, in that case I'd jam on 3rd instead of call. The pot would be small but your hand doesn't want alot of company. This is a raise or fold situation to me.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Well, I think 3rd is an auto-raise, but I'm over-aggressive in SH stud. In every other type of poker, I'm prolly too passive.

The fold on 5th is correct. Even if he has 9-6 in the hole, you're 37-63 dog, out of position w/nothing in the pot. And I don't see how he calls on 4th with 6-9/9-T.

If he's got Ac-8c it's 50-50, but again how does he call 4th? It's pretty hard to find a hand he plays this way that doesn't crush you, but of course he prolly had 2c-4c in the hole, decided to peel on 4th, then try for a free card w/the raise on 5th.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 AM

It is possible that you folded the best hand since 2/4 players, in my experience, will raise a 4 flush every time.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 AM

Do you think they are likely to peel 4th with a 3 flush? I guess in this case it would make sense if he held the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BTW are you talking about 2/4 stud hi or 2/4 HORSE players?

My heat-of-battle-insta-read when he called 4th was "probably straight draw, and 789 is the only reasonable starting hand that gives him one". So when the 6 hit, I thought "oh crap", and decided I want him to have something else [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like some pair/draw combo. But I figure if he raises when I bet into him, then I'm probably either slighty ahead or crushed. So I bet into him and he raised, and I thought "oh crap" again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2007, 11:29 AM

I've played a lot of the 2/4 HORSE games on Stars and 90% of the players there are terrible at RSE. I really have no quams with a limp here if you can fold third/fourth UI. If the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] didn't limp I think a raise is definitely in order. The bet on fourth is obviously standard and I would have bet/fold fifth just like you did. The pot is small and you're more than likely beat. The players usually have what they are representing in this game from what I've experienced.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Limping third for $1 and then folding for another $1 would be pretty silly, in my opinion. I am check-folding fourth quite a bit with this hand, though.

I have no problem with the fold. I tend to call down, and they show me a straight pretty much every time.