Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 03:11 PM

Default What recourse is there?

Since I managed to close my NetTeller account and withdraw all but $20 from Internet poker sites before the bomb dropped, my interest in this topic is mostly academic. Still, I have a couple of questions that have been bothering me through this entire fiasco.
Since NetTeller will no longer be servicing U.S. gamers, what incentive do they have to honor any of their account obligations? More to the point, what recourse will U.S. depositors have if they choose not to? It seems clear that U.S. Courts will construe gaming transactions through NetTeller as illegal, and so any contractual obligations entered into by NetTeller will be null and void in U.S. courts. Will U.S. depositors travel overseas to sue in foreign courts? Who has jurisdiction?
I am not suggesting that NetTeller is planning on stiffing it's U.S. depositors ... I have no idea what they're up to. I would suggest, however, that all of the bankrolls deposited with them are subject to their goodwill alone, and that if they choose not to honor U.S. deposits, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: What recourse is there?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems clear that U.S. Courts will construe gaming transactions through NetTeller as illegal, and so any contractual obligations entered into by NetTeller will be null and void in U.S. courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Why do you say No. Under standard contract law, any contract entered into for an illegal purpose is null and void. If the justice department did not consider the transactions through NetTeller to be illegal, how did any of this happen?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems clear that U.S. Courts will construe gaming transactions through NetTeller as illegal, and so any contractual obligations entered into by NetTeller will be null and void in U.S. courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assumptions are the mother of all [censored]-ups.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:39 PM

In what way does it seem clear? The DOJ is not a court.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM

It's true that the DOJ is not a court. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the courts will rule ... and then how it will go about enforcing its rulings.