Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 07:37 AM

Default I want to call my stack off with A9 high

Stars 50+5 6 handed. About 15 players left. Villian has been extremely aggressive and active and i've seen him pull at least one major bluff before, perhaps more.
My stack: 11,600
Villains stack before posting: 9500
Blinds 400/800 with 50 antes.
Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, hero raises to 2100, button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets all in for 7,350, hero calls.

Heres my line of thought: With any A bigger than mine (outside MAYBE AT) villian will be shoving pre.

Most pairs he'll be shoving pre and the ones he doesn't will almost certainly check shove the flop instead of just for almost 2X the pot.

I feel most of the time hes A2-AT, KQ/KJ/KT/QJ/JT and a few times AT or a small pair thats ahead.

Thoughts on this loose call?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: I want to call my stack off with A9 high

I very much like going all-in before the flop with this hand. you only have an M of about 8 and you'll avoid putting youself in this tough decision after the flop. Just stealing the blinds brings your M up to 9 and thats very good for you. Once you in this situation your playig a guessing game and that what the BB wants. I would shove it in here. your getting about 1.5 to 1 odds on your call and he could have just about anything here. You'll probably be out of the tourny after this play, but you have to go with the odds, and odds are you'll beat him just a little under half the time in my opinion. Some of the most likely hand I see him having here are some drawing hand like 87 maybe.

But it would've been much better to make an allin play before the flop.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 AM

I shove PF
and I call the flop, but I like picking off stop and gos with ace high

edit: I thought the ante was higher when I said shove. It's still not that bad a play. And I still call frequently here.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 AM

I would call but as I actually don't like calling off stop and gos with ace high, I'd just shove it in pre-flop. Well, that depends on the stack sizes behind but if a raise is only giving the stacks behind the options to push/fold or piss me about with a stop and go, then I'd push.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 AM

Shove PF leaves you not being bothered by this. Sure, it can be a bit obvious, but who cares here, really? You probably need to shove some good hands as well though.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 AM

I guess you could open shove, but that's just not a part of my game. I think the flop is definitely a call, and pre-flop I'd rather entice him to resteal with worse hands- shove is only getting called by hands that beat or flip with us. You could raise a bit more though, to a full 3x, if you want him to push/fold preflop.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:00 AM

I should have listed the other stacks, as button was pretty big and SB was a hair bigger than me. I'm not sure how crazy i am for A9 all in pre for 15 BB's but i don't think its awful. Because he was pretty laggro i was expecting him to shove over my smaller raise pre and take away a tougher spot like this but he foiled my plan by calling.

Btw everyone who also calls here was correct, he held KJ.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 PM

now that i know the results, i call this everytime [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]