Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Default 400NL: I got JJ, whats not to like?

Villain is an aggressive 24/20/7, so I thought I'd give him hell. Comments?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($399.90)
BB ($203.60)
Hero ($1079.70)
MP ($394)
Button ($428)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $16, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $34</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $100</font>, BB folds, Hero shoves
Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 400NL: I got JJ, whats not to like?

He's v. aggressive but just called pf. Why? To hit 2p+ post flop. I'm not sure he didn't do so here. I think it's a tough spot and for you to make this play, you really need a good read that he will make this play with a wide range. Aside from seeing his agg factor as "7", I would want to see hands where I've witnessed his showing down plays like this. If I haven't, and I just see him as very agg, I'd just pitch it here, or if anything, call and hope for a safe turn, and re-evaluate. If I decide I'm good, I'd c/r the safe turn ai. I think shoving now folds most worse hands, so for me to do this I'd really want to know I'm definitely probably best (strong read needed from seeing him mess around alot previously), and then I don't mind this play.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Looks fine to me. I know there are some spots where it is more advantageous to call then lead the turn but since you have a BDFD this may not be one of them, I'm not sure, if it is I'd love to hear the reasoning.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's v. aggressive but just called pf. Why? To hit 2p+ post flop. I'm not sure he didn't do so here. I think it's a tough spot and for you to make this play, you really need a good read that he will make this play with a wide range. Aside from seeing his agg factor as "7", I would want to see hands where I've witnessed his showing down plays like this. If I haven't, and I just see him as very agg, I'd just pitch it here, or if anything, call and hope for a safe turn, and re-evaluate. If I decide I'm good, I'd c/r the safe turn ai. I think shoving now folds most worse hands, so for me to do this I'd really want to know I'm definitely probably best (strong read needed from seeing him mess around alot previously), and then I don't mind this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

An aggro player with those stats will just call pf planning to take away pots on boards just like this.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 PM

This is fine as he will often make this move with a draw or nothing. But you need a read like you said you had to do this in general.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:27 PM

this looks like wild spew to me
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this looks like wild spew to me

[/ QUOTE ]

i think buttons range is big enough- 67, 66, 77, maybe 99 if he didn't feel like 3 betting, A5 or something funky like 46hh, overcard Hs- to make this reasonable.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 PM

Your sending a message more than anything. If not to Villian, to everyone else, this in turn is going to double or triple you pots later on. It's also going to let you dictate the pace of the game and win more pots. I like whether you win or lose.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Why is it a spew? 24/20's raise with a real wide range here, most of which are drawing and behind us. I would make this play a very high % of the time
Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it a spew? 24/20's raise with a real wide range here, most of which are drawing and behind us. I would make this play a very high % of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

shoving just feels like we're praying he's got a draw, i'd rather take one off and find out what happens or something other than shoving bc i can't see him ever calling with a pocket pair smaller than ours if he's decent.