Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Deep 1/2 Live game vs. Hyper Aggressive on Button.

Hi, I don't post a lot of hands but here is one where I'd like to hear opinions. If the hand sucks, please flame away...

Effective stacks 1100, opening bets are usually straddled sometimes double straddled, and raises go from 15-35.

As the cards get dealt, I'm aware that the player to my left "Ivan" is an older gentleman, ethnic (Russian) and very aggressive. I notice he likes his cards and is watching the action. I'm on the button with 5-8o.

Straddle to 4, two limps, raise to 22 from bad LAG. Call to my left and I call expecting Ivan to repop. He does, to 80. All fold to me on the button.

I'm aware this is a rough call here. I'm looking to outplay Ivan with my position.

Flop is 5-6-J Rainbow. As expected, Ivan bets out, but only 100. I feel my hand is best and call.

Turn is a J bringing two diamonds. Ivan again bets 100, a bet he would never make with a J, KK or AA. He's more likely to check with any hand but a J, and would bet much more with a J. I ask for him to count down his chips, and he has me covered.

I call and the river is a 6, counterfeiting me. Ivan checks. He never checks AA, KK, a J or a boat here.

Who here makes a bet. How much? Please don't get overly involved with my hand selection, rather please examine the play from the flop on.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 01-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Deep 1/2 Live game vs. Hyper Aggressive on Button.

I dont see how you can't bet, around 280
Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 PM

I'd raise turn if I wanted to bluff here.

Fold pf. "looking to outplay someone" is dumb. If the game is insane, wait for something better than 85o. It won't take that long. Plus, nobody folds live.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise turn if I wanted to bluff here.

Fold pf. "looking to outplay someone" is dumb. If the game is insane, wait for something better than 85o. It won't take that long. Plus, nobody folds live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are right. I actually feel nobody folds online, but that's another discussion.

Raising the turn seems like a bad play to me if you are putting your opponent on AK, AQ or a low pair because believe it or not the pair of 5's has showdown value. On a blank or J river I'd call another small bet.