Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Been Playin\' for about a month.. some observations..

I play on UB.. 2-4 up through 10/20. The games at 3/6+ are VERY aggro. Sometimes, the players that seem like tards do OK, because they're betting and raising everything, and buy a lot of pots that way..

A lot of pots go 4 bets PF. This makes the game tough... We'd all like to hit the nuts on the flop, or have a draw to the nuts, but when you're getting 20:1 on your call, you've gotta open up your calling range.

Most of the games are shorthanded. Again, this game is a different monster. I watched Turco's (sp) video. It was a great video, but the difference between the games he's playing on there and the ones i'm playing in are like the difference between a NL sng and limit HE cash game. Two different beasts.. I still play a pretty tight game, but I do open up my PF calling ranges a little bit. The only way I'm able to survive in these games is that my opponents don't give me the respect I deserve given my nittiness.

To survive in these games, you've gotta do some bluffing here and there to throw your opponents off. Another thing I try to do is to keep the pot smaller PF. These guys love to put in 4 bets before the flop, but I think that takes most of the skill out on later streets.

Does anyone have anything to say? Does anyone here play on UB?

TY, SDOG.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Been Playin\' for about a month.. some observations..

A lot of preflop capping makes play different on later streets... I don't think it takes the skill out, really, since the pot equity / pot odds calculations change and you have to adjust accordingly. I also don't think opening up your preflop calling range is the correct response to a lot of preflop raising... wouldn't it make more sense to tighten up?
Anyway, I also play on UB but mostly PLO8 microlimits (.25 and .50).