Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Turn good, river bad?

30/20 tag. I felt like I had to raise turn, but the river call is really bad. Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 10.25BB
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Turn good, river bad?

A club I can see cause for concern, but what's so bad about the 8s? It makes a straight if the villain has a 9, but I don't see a 9 being in too many of the villains hands here.

This is a weird river donk. It looks more the villain missed his flush draw is hoping you just go away.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 AM

i play it the same no doubt in my mind

on the river he could be value betting 2 pair or a worse K knowning u "cant" raise with less than the straight. In addition to the missed fd's bluffs that could be trying to move u off a weak but better hand.

He shouldn't expect alot of ur range to be folding after the turn action and everyone knows "noone believes these river donk bluffs and everyone calls em", but dont give him that much credit and it could be a desperation bet from like 54 with a club u never know.

Its not always a 9 or baby flush (that took like the worst turn and river line possible btw) when he donks the river is m only real point, ur enough ahead of his range to call getting even worse pot odds no doubt.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 AM

Folding the river would be a terrible play as would raising, which makes calling the perfect play.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 AM

Wouldn't he play this way with T8, 86, and 87? Kc8 is possible too. Way too many hands you beat to consider folding here.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 AM

I play it exactly the same
Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 AM

I think you played it fine, there are lots of 2-pair combos that he would play the same way.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 PM

When players make this river donk move against me, I'm always thinking "[censored], they've got me beat and are afraid of river being checked through!" So I find myself frustrated, but reluctantly calling and usually losing. Even on this hand, where lower two pairs are very possible, I lost again to a straight.

I think I was definitely questioning myself last night when I posted this. I lost sooo much this session by calling too many river donks.
Thanks for giving me back some confidence. I guess I just need to remember to always weigh the numbers and possibilities in these situations.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When players make this river donk move against me, I'm always thinking "[censored], they've got me beat and are afraid of river being checked through!" So I find myself frustrated, but reluctantly calling and usually losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, but the pot has gotten big enough that you'd rather call here and lose than fold the winner here, right?

This frustrates me to no end, but small stakes shorthanded isn't the place to make "tough laydowns" on the river.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM

call turn to raise blank river holla