Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Am I ever winning this?

Questioning the call on the river.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8.25BB
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Am I ever winning this?

i wouldnt think enough to call

if the river was a blank id be having a very tough time coming to a decision and would be a bit more inclined to call after ck calling the turn.

no read makes this kinda hard already actually, but ur really only hoping he has like 67 56 and those arent in his range typically cold calling otb. Worse made hands dont bet the river enough to constitute much of his range here i dont think so I'm folding.

no read im not sure if checking or betting the turn is better? probably checking. on the river its probably a ck fold even if the diamonds miss, even though a lot of his cold calling range includes various diamond combos as u don't have any and neither the A or K on the board is a diamond.

I would think he'd give up on the river with a missed draw QJ or a fd pretty often though after u ck call the turn on this board, what better hand can he put you on thats folding now? Only thing i may worry about on a blank river would be Kdxd mite vb the river, but thats pretty negligible.

Then again we have no idea how he thinks or plays so he mite bet QdJd again without thinking after u ck call the turn and check a river blank.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 AM

sorry to kinda hijack ur thread a bit there with hypothetical tangents. I just thought it would be a particularly interesting river decision against an unknown and wanted to hear what others thought in that scenario. Obviously when all the draws hit it pushes it closer to a fold and vice versa.

Here i just felt it was a fold just becuz there werent enough missed draws, random flop peel hands that would feel compelled to bluff or worse pair hands that both a) call the flop and b) bet the turn AND scare card river.

Even if we assumed 1 in 20 times all the worse pair hands WOULD bet the river here trying to fold a better pair hand (probably a fair assumption vs an unknown to account for random spazz bluffs ect) we re not ahead of his range enough to call with these not mammoth by any means pot odds.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 AM

I would have bet the turn. Since you called anyway, I think a bet is better because you're putting him on a decision.
If he calls, you can check the river.
If he raises, you can fold.
If he folds, you win the pot.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:58 AM

I like a turn bet too, although I'm at loss as to how the play the river if he calls the turn. I hate bet/fold, check/call, check/fold all equally.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Were you calling most non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] rivers? If not, I see no reason to call the turn. My usual line would be to bet the turn and the river if he just keeps calling, bad?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 AM

Bet/fold or check/fold turn, don't check/call.
River is super easy fold.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM

After I c/c the turn, I felt I had already made the decision to call the river. A bet on that turn would have made things a whole lot easier.
I think I can be a bit passive when it comes to playing against unknowns, and think this may be a serious leak.

Thanks for the responses.