Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Pat Lyons - \"Greatest Player in No Cal\"?

There's this guy that comes into my local B&M in San Jose. Mostly at Garden City but also Bay 101. He's always hooping and hollering that he's the greatest player, that he loves to play sooted King rage (his World Series hand), and generally raising a big ruckus at the table.

He's great entertainment and can be had for huge pots, but he can really get on the nerves after a while.

Anybody know if this guy is legit? I heard he's been barred from Lucky Chances for the same reasons.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Pat Lyons - \"Greatest Player in No Cal\"?

He is, of course, the winner of the world famous Speedway of Poker VIII, but net of buy-ins and taxes, his winnings seem a little light to earn "greatest player" status...

http://www.pokerpages.com/players/pr.../pat-lyons.htm

I'm thinking maybe he's the Greatest Player on the 400 block of Whipple Avenue in Redwood City and has just shortened the title for easy recollection.

Edmond
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM

You haven't truly experienced Bay101 or GC until you've been hit up for a loan from Pat.

I've played with him in countless tournaments and he might be one of the worst non-newbie player I know. Some of his logical conclusions require deep thoughts to appreciate the unintentional humor.

Also, he has an awesome black tee shirt with a lion stalking it's prey in the jungle and a huge gold chain with some giant medallion thing.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 AM

The first few times you encounter him, it's easy to conclude he's a tool. But he's a damn nice guy when he's not in the middle of a hand. And all the noise he generates seems to mainly be in celebration of himself rather than a put-down of his opponents. All in all, he seems pretty harmless. If you can avoid becoming one of his bankers.

BTW, you'll see him in this year's Bay 101 Shooting Stars, as he has, believe it or not, won a seat in a satellite.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 PM

I agree that he's a nice guy, but he's truly one of the stupidest people I've ever met. He's always so nice because he's constantly on the prowl for his next backer. He is forced to project an image of success in order to feed his sick gambling habit.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... But he's a damn nice guy when he's not in the middle of a hand. And all the noise he generates seems to mainly be in celebration of himself rather than a put-down of his opponents. All in all, he seems pretty harmless. If you can avoid becoming one of his bankers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I didn't mean to slam the guy or anything. I've unintentionaly donated my chips to him . My QQ vs Pat's 45 off suited that he pushed PF from the BB. He natuarally caught two of his suit on the flop and runner-runner to hit a flush. The funny thing is the river was the Ace, so naturally he yelled out that he had the "Nut Flush". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Pat is the man. His life revolves around poker like a lot of us so I have respect for him. When he does win a tourney, which is not that often, he goes around passing out chips to a lot of peeps which I thought was pretty cool.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he goes around passing out chips to a lot of peeps which I thought was pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is known as repaying one's debts.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he goes around passing out chips to a lot of peeps which I thought was pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is known as repaying one's debts.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, this gave me a bit of a chortle
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 AM

What does he look like?