Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Learning To Play Harmonica

I've decided I want to learn to play the harmonica, but I have very little idea of what that involves and would appreciate if anyone can answer some questions for me.

How much does a decent harmonica cost? On the whole they are pretty cheap, is there a difference in quality between prices/makes I should know about? What would be a good make for a beginner?
I've heard it is pretty easy to be a decent player, is this true and how difficult is it to become very good?
Some harmonicas can be bought in different keys, which would you recommend?
Any good books/learning material?

And any other thoughts, advice, or recommendations of particluar harmonicas greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Learning To Play Harmonica

[ QUOTE ]
I've decided I want to learn to play the harmonica, but I have very little idea of what that involves and would appreciate if anyone can answer some questions for me.

How much does a decent harmonica cost? On the whole they are pretty cheap, is there a difference in quality between prices/makes I should know about? What would be a good make for a beginner?
I've heard it is pretty easy to be a decent player, is this true and how difficult is it to become very good?
Some harmonicas can be bought in different keys, which would you recommend?
Any good books/learning material?

And any other thoughts, advice, or recommendations of particluar harmonicas greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to prison, you'll learn all you need to know.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Im very bad with music/tone etc, for some reason I am awesome w/ the harmonica, Ive sat in with some local blues bands, that are actually pretty well known in the scene. Get a simple C an G harp, personally I have hohner special 20's I think they were about 20 or 30 bucks apeice. Just take a look at some harmonica websites so you know how to "read" the music, and practice
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM

I worked night shift at a gas station about 7 or 8 years ago and decided to take up the harmonica while I was there. I had about 3 or 4 customer-free hours every night to play, and I would say in about 2-3 weeks I was pretty decent. I never became very good, but I only had the job for a couple months and pretty much stopped playing after that. There's a bunch of good books for rock and blues stuff out there, just take a look around and see what there is in the style you want to play.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM