Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Default New Orleans

Looking for some fun things to do. Let me tell you about what i like and don't like so that you can tailor your advice accordingly.

I'm 33. I'm married. I'm going for a weekend in mid march with some old friends from high school and college. We like to drink, shoot pool, listen to music, gamble. We average out to middle class, salary wise. We'd probably feel most comfortable around people between the ages of 25 and 40. I'd really like to find a good place to play some pick up basketball. This helps the hangovers. Any recommendations for good street food would be appreciated. I've found that typical, regional food that people make on the street is pretty much unbeatable. Anything else you can think of would be great.

Gracias
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: New Orleans

As far as food goes you can't really go wrong with any of the traditional great NO places, but here are some of my favorites.

Mr B's Bistro the brunch is one of the best I've ever had. Try the grillades and grits. It is owned by the Brennan family of Comander's Place fame. Lunch and dinner are terrific as well.

Mother's if you are looking for a classic New Orleans Po Boy. This is it. Try the roast beef with debris. This is about 2 blocks from Harrah's if you need a break from the tables.

For street food look for one of these carts. No trip to the Big Easy is complete without a drunken Lucky Dog. They are featured prominently in the classic novel A Confederacy of Dunces.

For music there are the tourist places in the quarter which can be fun if that's what you want to do. Pat O's has a dueling piano bar, and a 600lb blues man named Big Al Carson plays almost daily at the Funky Pirate

I personally like The Maple Leaf great music and usually lots of Tulane trim.

Tipitina's is a must see. I've seen some amazing shows there over the years. It is a true landmark, make sure you rub Professor Longhair's head.

And as a plug for some friends, I used to play with Grayson Capps and John Lisi'sdrummer. If you like blues try to catch these guys.

I can't help you out with the hoops, but if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them. I have spent alot of time in New Orleans over the years, I even got married there once.