Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM

Default pretty soon the U.S Gov will be....

Pretty soon the U.S government will be telling us how many times a week we can have sex. This online gambling ban should scare the hell out of every U.S citizen. Where will this lead? What is next? I know this is not an informative post. I am doing everything I can by informing everyone, even non-gamblers, about how this ban violates our rights, and how it can lead to more of our rights taken away by future laws. You should do the same.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: pretty soon the U.S Gov will be....

This scares me too. I love online poker but I love my rights even more and spending my money on an activity that doesn't hurt others is my right IMO. I'm 23 and think I will be sieg heiling in America before I'm dead. But I'm just a lily white liberal so what do I know???
Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Maybe we need Iraq to invade the USA to remove the dictator Bush. All your rights are going to be taken away as they slowly kill the US Dollar. North American Union is the ultimate goal. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we need Iraq to invade the USA to remove the dictator Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please come save us!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:04 PM

holy crap will you kids ever shut up. i swear to God you rosie odnonnel types never give it a rest. ive been pro for two years, so i obviously hate these laws as much as the next person, but youre an idealogical idiot if you cant see that this is democracy in action.

hundreds of people that we all freely elected have voted in new regulations of the course of several months. i suppose if you dont want to stop whining about it, then you should move to another country where youre in love with EVERY SINGLE LAW THEY HAVE. if the entire country stopped gambling online tomorrow, it would be a better place. we wouldnt be as happy, but we are in the clear minority.

and will you people PLEASE stop throwing around nazi references. i actually have people in my family tree who watched their entire immediate family get marched off to their deaths by the nazis in poland. then they took him and made him fight for the germans in their sick army. i really dont think an anti-online gambling bill carries enough weight to start with those comparisons. no one is in going to march you out of your bed at 2 in the morning at gunpoint and kill your children.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre an idealogical idiot if you cant see that this is democracy in action.

hundreds of people that we all freely elected have voted in new regulations of the course of several months.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I love the USA and democracy you are mistaken. The gambling legislation was tacked onto a Port Security Bill. It would have been political suicide for any member of Congress to have voted against it. And while many members supported the Port Legislation they were against the rider.

The rider tacked on by Frist is an example of politics and not democracy. It does not represent the will of the people, or even the will of the Congress.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Never saw the word Nazi yet...

I think the word dictator was meant to be poking fun...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rider tacked on by Frist is an example of politics and not democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call it "politics" either. It's an agency problem, but agency problems are a natural consequence of democracies. Having said that, this particular bill is a scream for democratic reform.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty soon the U.S government will be telling us how many times a week we can have sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you understand that that is a ridiculously huge jump, however, I think you are correct in being offended by the direction the US gov't is heading. I have made literally dozens of calls to state and federal office holders over the past many months to talk about poker and all of the conversations have had something similar to what was said yesterday while speaking to my US Representatives (Trent Franks) aide Jeff Chowdry (sp.?):

groo: Why does Mr. Franks oppose online poker?

JC: It's primarily on moral grounds.

groo: Well, that's fine. I'm glad he has moral rules to direct his life, but how can he put himself in a position to set those rules for me? Infact, How can he as a supposedly freedom loving American stand in the way of consenting, responsible adults making their own choices on how they spend their hard earned money?

JC: Well, um.......well.....

(Disclaimer for all of you nits, This is not meant to be an exact transcript)
Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Don't worry, Barack Obama will save the day!

Barack Obama is a champion of civil liberties, and takes a hard-line stance against such travesties as the gambling ban, criminalized prostitution, and the socially devastating war on drugs! Barack Obama believes that you should have the freedom to do what you want with your hard-earned money! Three cheers for our freedom-loving black candidate, Barack Obama!