Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:24 PM

Default **Official microlimit stats thread** stats posts and questions go here

All the regulars here know there are a TON of stats posts. This encompasses everything from "how do I get my preflop VPIP/PFR up?" to "what should by postflop aggression factor be?" to the really ingenius "should I include preflop aggression in my overall aggression?" A lot of these -- okay, most -- of these posts are somewhat misguided, but still part of the learning curve for a poker player seeking to improve his/her game.

The thing is, this board sometimes get inundated with these stats threads, which to many ML regulars are like nails on a chalk board. (This includes me when I'm in a pissy mood.) So, what we need is, like Wook's NC thread, a designated stats only thread. If you have a stats question, post it here.

But wait! Before you go a'posting on this thread little Billy, you need to read a few things first (you dumbass).

First) For full ring games: There is a sticky at the top of the ML forum by a guy named btspider -- a very smart guy who apparently has been eaten by a pack of wild dogs (or something). Read the stats section. Btspider worked very hard on that post, and he didnt go to all that trouble just so you could ignore his post and go asking questions that he took to trouble to address, now did he? (Hint: no, he didn't!)

B) For 6 max games: There is this awesome post by MrWookie47 here. He also took quite a bit of trouble to make this post. Take advantage please.

3) King Otter recently made a good post, which I am going to post here (having his permission) about the long term nature of poker.
"I want to say something that bears repeating. We've got a lot of people here that are newer than I am, and I'm not seeing the mantra about poker being a long-term game repeated as much as it was when I first came about.

If you play for 3K hands and win 20BB/100, you are not a winning player.

"Why not?!" You may ask, "Look at that winrate!"

Because 3K hands is short-term. 5k hand is short-term. 10k hands is short-term. 20k hands is short-term in terms of win-rate.

Even at 20K hands, a good run of 50BB over 500 hands could change your win-rate 20% (assuming 1BB/100, at 2BB/100 it goes up 10%).

Crushing a limit isn't about going to any table and walking away with 100BB. Being a winning player doesn't mean that you can win, no matter what. Poker is still gambling. In the long and short of it you still have to get better cards than the other guy, most of the time.

Being a winning player is all about:
1. Adjusting to your opponents play.
2. Making GOOD poker decisions, every time.
3. Putting your opponents in positions where THEY make mistakes.
4. Understanding that a day is short-term... a week is short-term... a month is short-term.
5. Patience.

If you're complaining that you can't beat a limit and you have less than 20k hands as evidence, you're wasting our time.

KO"

Okay, if you have read all this, now you are ready to post in this thread. Have at it.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Greg
<font color="white">To make the search function catch this thread in relevant searches: vpip pfr aggression WSD W$SD stats statistics winrate win rate bb/100 VPIP from SB WSF FR AF SD Standard deviation what should my how much should i raise fold call checkraise CR coldcall Pokertracker </font>
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: **Official microlimit stats thread** stats posts and questions go

nh, sir. Let's hope this enjoys the same success as the NC thread.

Also, will posters kindly supply a link to this thread in any and all stats posts made by people who post stats in a new thread?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: **Official microlimit stats thread** stats posts and questions go here

good idea greg.

i applaud the effort and hope it catches.

here's a link that explains standard deviation a little bit:

Standard Deviation by CMI

edit: here's another one I was looking for How Long until PT stats converge
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM

I also find this discussion of PT stats pretty interesting.

KO
Old 09-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Bump, just in case someone's about to post a stat reply on Friday evening/night.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm happy to report that after initially staving off the wild dogs' attack and much additional effort the wild pack of dogs have accepted me as one of their own and I can now occasionally get some time away from hunting and... i got nothing else.

Took a new contract a month or so back and just haven't had the time to play poker after a hard days work. Unfortunately they block twoplustwo.com via their proxy or else I'd be around quite a bit. BAH!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Great to see you back dude!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Setting My Auto-Rates, need Some help

Ok, made a post yesterday about me just getting poker tracker, thanks for the help. Now im setting my auto-rate player function and need some help. Could someone provide their critera for fish and such or give a link to a post showing them. I'm asking a LOT i know but i think you guys will come through!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Harv\'s Auto-Rates

Not bisonbison's like most use, but Harv72b's is along the same lines:

Harv72b's autorating guide
Old 09-17-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: **Official microlimit stats thread** stats posts and questions go here

Semi off topic half bump

I have gotten poker ace HUD to show the stats while im playing. I have gotten the site added to the configurations, and the little screen shows the tables im playing. In the corner it has the Avg Vpip and Avg PFR in the bottom left corner of the table, but it says N.A, the damn thing never changes. You may be saying, you doofus set the thing to update more freguently, but I have it at 25 hands per update. Now what is the problem. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]