Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Best games to play?

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm Chris from the UK. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but hope it is.

I've only been playing no limit texas hold 'em poker about 6 months, started with league games in local pubs and I have read books, played a lot and consider myself to know what I'm doing well, and I usually have good results.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on what are the best games to be playing in online to make money. I generally play in single table tournaments (about $6-$12) but have won one 1200 entrant multi table tournament. The trouble with these are there are a lot of fish playing who don't have a clue what they are doing and keep getting lucky and I am getting fed up with it. So far I'm only about $20 up. As an example before I pocket aces, there was a raise of 4 times the big blind and a caller so I came all in over the top and the first raiser folded but the second one called, showed his cards and he had J6 offsuit and it wasn't like he was calling for pot odds or the chance to knock me out either! His J6 made a straight, grrrrr.

So what are the best sort of games to play in where people know what they're doing generally, but the stakes aren't massive?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Best games to play?

I'm still new myself, so my advice is probably worth very little.

But what I can tell you is the play on Poker Stars is a bit tighter than most. I hear there's pretty high play on Bodog as well.

As far as fish sucking out go, oh well. I should take my own advice, but you should try to play with fish as much as possible. Yeah, they'll suck out. But in the long run you'll profit a lot more.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM

I have been playing on Party Poker. I do have an account at Poker Stars but I don't seem to like their tables much.

I'm just not sure if it's best sticking to the lower limit single table tournaments or trying a bit higher stake multi table tournaments, or other things.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The trouble with these are there are a lot of fish playing who don't have a clue what they are doing and keep getting lucky and I am getting fed up with it. So far I'm only about $20 up. As an example before I pocket aces, there was a raise of 4 times the big blind and a caller so I came all in over the top and the first raiser folded but the second one called, showed his cards and he had J6 offsuit and it wasn't like he was calling for pot odds or the chance to knock me out either! His J6 made a straight, grrrrr.

So what are the best sort of games to play in where people know what they're doing generally, but the stakes aren't massive?

Thanks,

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder, why u (and some other people) get so fed up with these players.
In the majority of hands, your Aces will beat his J6 and you will get most or all of his money/chips in the long run.

Besides, he is just playing the game differently, but not cheating on you and if they get lucky on you that often, maybe you should consider going all in with J6. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Tournaments, and ring games - cash games you can leave any time you want - are two different games with different strategy and end points. If you are comfortable with NL and can afford to play it, I would drop the tournaments and focus on NL.

I play limit and I enjoy it for a number of reasons. Mainly it has a safety net that NL does not, so when I make a mistake it is one bet and not my stack(s).

Of course only you know what works for you, but mixing tourney's and cash games would be hard for newer players due to the differing strategy for each game type as they tend to blur sometime.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 PM

move up to where they respect your raises.

honestly, if you can't beat $6-$12 single table tournaments, you've got no chance of beating higher levels.

while there may be some difference in the player skill levels from one site to another, i suspect that is likely to be only marginal.

my pokertracker stats show no significant difference between sites over a larger sample size.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Try it all see what you like, there is money to be made in them all.