I use minced because it tastes the same. 0 0%
I use minced although it's worse; I'm lazy. 4 22.22%
I use peeled. 0 0%
I use fresh because I never tried the minced. 0 0%
I use fresh because it tastes better. 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 AM

Default choose my classes

ok guys, fall semester is about to end for me. i have 3 classes left to take, and no requirements left to fill with them. i was planning on starting the semester with the 6 below and dropping the hardest 3 after a week or so, but thats starting to seem like too much work.

my question to you all is: which 3 classes seem the easiest?

extra credit: which one should i take pass/fail?

ECO 464
Corporate Restructuring

Description/Objectives:
This course applies topics from microeconomics (Economics 310) and corporate finance (Economics 363) to study corporate restructuring. Topics include mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, divestiture and share repurchases. Each of these is discussed in the context of the relevant economic theory, institutional and regulatory environment, and with a focus on shareholder value.

Reading/Writing Assignments: Readings from assigned texts; written work to be submitted by a 3-4 student group (six assignments).

Requirements/Grading:
Midterm Exam: 20%
Final Exam: 25%
Quizzes: 15%
Papers: 25%
Precept Participation: 15%

Schedule/Classroom Assignment:
1:30 pm - 4:20 pm M

************************************************** *****************************

ECO 468
Behavioral Finance and Economics

Description/Objectives:
Traditional economics and finance typically assume efficient financial markets and use the simple "rational actor" model, where people maximize perfectly. We will present models that are psychologically more realistic than this standard model. About 30% of the course will be devoted to economics, 70 % to finance. Applications to economics will include decision theory, happiness, fairness, and neuroeconomics. Applications to finance will include theory and evidence on investor psychology, predictability of the stock market and other markets, limits to arbitrage, bubbles and crashes, experimental finance, and behavioral corporate finance.

Reading/Writing Assignments: About 5 problem sets

Requirements/Grading:
Midterm Exam: 30%
Final Exam: 40%
Problem Set(s): 30%

1:30 pm - 4:20 pm Th

ENG 217/COM 217
Gore and Glory: Early Heroic Literature

Description/Objectives:
This course introduces major ancient and medieval heroic texts, texts which tell of the deeds of men larger than life: the actions of impinging gods, giants, and monsters; and the awe of mortals whose fortunes depend on how all of this heroically-proportioned rage plays out. Working chronologically, we will compare formal elements that heroic narratives share, building a repertoire of literary features like boasts, battles, and journeys. We will consider how culture and history shape textual specificity: oral vs. literate poetry, the evolving warrior ethic, the hero's relation to his people, and the bearing of women upon heroic forms.

Sample Reading List:
Anon. , The Epic of Gilgamesh
Homer , Iliad
Virgil , Aeneid
Anon. , Beowulf
Anon. , Grettir's Saga
J.R.R. Tolkien , The Lord of the Rings

Reading/Writing Assignments: About 100-150 pages of reading per week, largely of the texts central to the course. All reading in translation. Two short essays, one long paper, ungraded precept responses, and a take-home final exam.

Requirements/Grading:
Take Home Final Exam: 20%
Papers: 60%
Precept Participation: 20%

Other Information: Two lectures and one precept weekly, plus screenings and performances TBA. No prior knowledge of medieval literature is required.

12:30 pm - 1:20 pm T Th

************************************************** *****************************

MUS 103
Introduction to Music

Description/Objectives:
Music 103 is an introduction to Western Art Music (works from 1100 to the present). The course defines the basic elements of music - pitch, rhythm, melody, harmony, and form - and the historically significant styles and genres of composition. Emphasis is placed on the five most important premiere performances in music history. The course also explores the relationship between "high" and "low," "serious" and "popular" music.

Reading/Writing Assignments: 1-2 hours of reading and listening per week; 1 short writing assignment.

Requirements/Grading:
Midterm Exam: 30%
Final Exam: 40%
Precept Participation: 30%

12:30 pm - 1:20 pm M W

WWS 309/SOC 313
Media and Public Policy

Description/Objectives:
Introduction to communications policy and law, covering such topics as freedom of the press and the development of journalism; intellectual property; regulation of telecommunications, broadcasting, and cable; and policy challenges raised by the Internet and the globalization of the media.

Reading/Writing Assignments: Approximately 125 pages of reading a week. 3 short memos; one term paper; final exam.

Requirements/Grading:
Take Home Final Exam: 30%
Papers: 40%
Oral Presentation(s): 15%
Precept Participation: 15%

1:30 pm - 4:20 pm W

WWS 453/EGR 453
Special Topics in Public Affairs: Patent Law and Innovation Policy

Description/Objectives:
This course aims to familiarize students with patent law (its history, doctrines, and policies) and at the same time to help students understand both the collaborative process by which patent applications are developed and the adversarial processes by which patents are interpreted and enforced.

Reading/Writing Assignments: Approximately 60-100 pages of reading a week; five 2-3 page papers; final exam.

Requirements/Grading:
Final Exam: 30%
Papers: 50%
Precept Participation: 20%

Class Number: 41710 - Seminar S01 : 1:30 pm - 4:20 pm T
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: choose my classes

Early Heroic Lit: I took a class very similar to this and it was awesome. Might be my favorite class I've taken in my 2 years and I'm a science guy. If you don't mind reading and can write you should have no trouble.

Intro to Music: Cake class, doesn't meet until 12:30 which is always nice.

Media and Public Policy: Take this one pass/fail because it is the toughest of these three.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 AM

behav econ, music, and media. behav econ for pass/fail.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intro to Music: Cake class, doesn't meet until 12:30 which is always nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Intro to music is going to be probably the easiest class of your college career.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 AM

Stay away from the econ course. I'm an econ major and that [censored] is all boring.

Stick with intro to music, media and public policy and heroic lit

Take M&PP pass/fail
Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM

I had to drop intro to music at a community college... but it seems like your music class is different. We had to compose a 12 minute song and be able to tell the teacher what note she played (including if it was flat or sharp). Horrible teacher.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM

I'll expand a little. I think you should take one of the two econ course because, as I recall that's your major or close to it, and since you have a class you can take pass/fail this will actually allow to you enjoy the course for the information while not worrying about doing well in it.