Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Default AK high - misplayed on every street?

5-5 NL, full table.

Villain recent history: He is a NLHET&P disciple. This is the guy I cold-called the river raise against with bpnk and won. He has built a big stack and has been running over the table playing all sorts of crap preflop and overbetting the river huge when hitting and also when not hitting. He loves to float, especially with a big stack and in position and is very aggressive in possition. He built his stack from ~700 by limp-calling a big raise heads up in mp with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], check-calling a J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop for 4/3 pot bet, spiked a 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn (check-check), and shoving for 600 into a 270 pot on the brick river and getting called by a bad player with T8s. Against me, two hands of note: he limps, I raise TT on the button, and we check down a Q793J board where he goes runner-runner hearts to win with 75hh. I called a pot-sized river bet in position (bad call). A few hands later, he limps and I raise AJo we check down a ragged board and i beat his QJo.

I have been paying off, sometimes incorrectly, a few of his big river bets.

Folded to villain ($1500) who opens for $25 on the button. I ($550) make it $100 from the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He calls as he would with virtually any two.

2 to the flop ($200): T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $150 villain calls.

2 to the turn ($500): (T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I think and check, he instachecks.

2 to the river ($500): (T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. He thinks about 5 seconds, looks at my stack, says, somewhat sheepishly, "what is that, 300? Ok. The rest." He is very capable of faking tells, and will act sheepish if he has the nuts or nothing depending on what he thinks of you as a player. I have a rep as a very good player, but I'm not sure if he thinks I deserve it after paying him off a few times on the river.

My hand is faceup after the river check. Am I good often enough here?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: AK high - misplayed on every street?

I fold river here, because he could be bluffing with a better hand.In order for you to be good he has to call you on the flop with aq, kq, qj type of hands.
Every other draw came, flush draw open ended staight.
Also against player like this, who doesnt fold, I would pbly not make a c-bet on that flop.
Against player like this a good line to take, is bet flop with your good hands, and check turn.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM

I dont think your hand is good enough of the time to call off the rest of your stack here.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't cbet here against this guy, you will most likely end up in an awkward spot on the turn with lots of money in the middle, no hand, and oop. I might crai though.

And I fold river.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM

id probably just push the turn
Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 PM

you can call this.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM

I mucked, villain showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Any way to play these guys who float virtually every hand?

Obv no continuation bets.

What range of hands do you call their river bets? Do you ever bet the river, either for value or as a bluff?

Strategy for most streets? What skills are most necessary here against these villains?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id probably just push the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm obviously not getting called by worse hands, so it's not for value, and is it a bluff if there is a chance I have the best hand?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:54 PM

I agree with Swedish. Againt this type of player I try to never cbet. Instead I'd check raise the flop big, and if he calls, I prob give it up. Every draw comes, except high cards, so you really need to pray he has air.

Fold the river, check raise the flop.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM

Against guys like this, i do not cbet unless i hit the flop and i check the turn to let him bluff.
I'd also check might the river with a made hand too.

For example, let's you have AT or JJ (or any overpair for that matter here).
Just play it the same way (obv, stackadonk him if he bets the turn) and call the river after faking that you are thinking for a long time even though you plan to instacall.He'll think "wow, this dude is so weak tight, he even thought about mucking TPTK/overpair against me even though i am being very agressive".Tell him you were scared of a flush or a set...

Now you have set up a situation, where you can cbet with made hand, but make a scared turn bet afterwards if the turn has any resemblance to a scare card.Watch him raise you with any 2.