Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Heads Up: State Police around Foxwoods

Apologize if this has been posted before.

Be extra careful when driving along access roads to Foxwoods. Police presence is nothing new near Foxwoods, especially on RTE 2 from 95, but lately the State police have stepped up enforcement looking for traffic violations. On Saturday night along this 8 mile stretch I saw 3 vehicle stops.

I asked my brother, who is a cop, about it and he said he heard that there is some tension between the State of CT and Foxwoods over who knows what, and that the Troopers are more likely than not participating in "directed enforcements", meaning Troopers are offered overtime to patrol the area. If you are from Massachusetts you'll know what I mean when I say they are doing a "detail".
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Heads Up: State Police around Foxwoods

I think this is fine with me. I am sick of seeing obviously drunk drivers swerve all over the road driving like amateur drunks. And I don't see why people (speeders) can't just chill and drive the speed limit (or 5mph over) for fifteen minutes and then open it up on 95.

People do live along rte 2 and shouldn't be disrespected and have their safety put in jeopardy.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is fine with me. I am sick of seeing obviously drunk drivers swerve all over the road driving like amateur drunks. And I don't see why people (speeders) can't just chill and drive the speed limit (or 5mph over) for fifteen minutes and then open it up on 95.

People do live along rte 2 and shouldn't be disrespected and have their safety put in jeopardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put. I agree
I've pretty sure they were doing seat belt checks a few Friday's ago. They signaled the 2 cars in front of me to pull over, let me go through, and signaled the car behind me. I'm from MA .. I'm guessing it was a seat belt check.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Cheapest ticket in Connecticut is over $200 too!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheapest ticket in Connecticut is over $200 too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I think it is expensive in Mass too, but I usually just avoid putting myself in those situations.

Connecticut does have some crazy laws though. I stayed there for a week a little while back and was surprised to find out that the package stores close at 8pm. If they do this, they must hate drunk drivers and they probably hate out-of-staters mucking up their traffic laws.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sick of seeing obviously drunk drivers swerve all over the road driving like amateur drunks.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to professional drunks? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As opposed to professional drunks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, professional drunks can stay between the paint.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree, I'm sure they get their fair share of both. It just seems to me that since Foxwoods is about the only game in town in that area, what the directed enforcements are doing amounts to nothing less than a revenue grab, for the state and the trooper via overtime and possible court time. FWIW, Saturday night around 8pm it was next to impossible to speed with all the traffic going both ways on rte 2. My only conclusion is that they were stopping cars arbitrarily, hoping to find a revenue producing infraction.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Original post was a "headsup". Then you write, what the cops are doing is o.k. But you write it's o.k. to do 5 miles per hour over limit. Do your 5 miles per hour over limit, under the circumstances described in the original post and see what happens to you, "Mr Goody two shoes". You are one of those people who believe "law enforcement" is strickly legit. This is an imperfect world.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM

I got nailed with the seat belt stop a while back going to the woods, the fine was something like $25. Most often I have seen the seat belt road block at the rotary by Mystic Pizza II, or on exit 85 off of 395.

I do think it is funny that a state that overturned the motorcycle helmet law for being unconstitutional thinks it is OK for cops to randomly stick thier heads in your car to see if you are wearing a seatbelt. So much for probable cause, illegal searches, etc.....