Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Drug Prohibition Rap!

Hey, I wasn't sure what forum to post this in exactly, so if this is wrong feel free to remove it, although I think this crowd might enjoy it.

I've been a pretty outspoken Libertarian at my college campus (although since I started reading 2+2 I've pretty much realized I'm an ACer) and specifically have been involved with a lot of drug-prohibition events/articles/whatever. I know a couple guys that are involved with a fairly successful rap group that are in the process of putting a song together about drug issues and asked me to be a guest rapper. I'm not experienced with rapping or lyric writing but I think it could be a ton of fun. The song basically has a hook/chorus that gets played and each different verse is rapped by a different person. They told me I could write about basically anything I wanted and I've decided I want my verse to be more or less politically oriented. Just wanted to put up what I've been muddling through so far and see if anybody has any comments or suggestions or even wants to throw a whole verse out there. The lines below are basically different ideas I've had that don't necessarily go well together, they all fit the beat though so if you're more musically gifted than me that might tell you something about how it should sound.

18th amendment brought us Al Capone
Big 2-1 sent him packing back home
Now we got to deal with a new prohibition
Same old game with brand new villains
New politicians with the same lack of vision
The road to terrorism is paved with good intentions

You wanna talk about the Taliban?
Best start talking about heroin
Opium fields in Afghanistan
How did you think they funded their plans

Black market policies and black market ops
Black market prices lead to black market cops
And it’ll stay that way until the black market stops
You think gangs could sell yay if CVS could sell rocks?

30 years later and your war has failed
Kids are wearing your shirts while they’re making their sales
They’re [censored] pushing the dirt while you watch from the rails
You keep ignoring the problem and putting symptoms in jail
Watching people get hurt while politicians make bail

Hopefully this will be fun for some people. I'm having a lot of fun with it and feel like there are some good lines, although I feel like they could be a lot better. I'm always up for trying things out of my usual comfort zone, but it takes me awhile to feel comfortable with it. Rap is definately one of those things.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Drug Prohibition Rap!

I like it. I think you should throw in a verse on how it is oppressive to the black underclass, that always gets people's attention.

BTW, I just thought of something. If you end the war on drugs, making cocaine affordable, crack will probably disappear off the face of the earth.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. I think you should throw in a verse on how it is oppressive to the black underclass, that always gets people's attention.

BTW, I just thought of something. If you end the war on drugs, making cocaine affordable, crack will probably disappear off the face of the earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, true. But "coke" doesn't rhyme as well as "rocks". I read a stat somewhere about the fact that the US incarcerates something like 4 times as many black men per capita than they did in South Africa during apartheid. I've been trying to work that into a verse. Also, I should probably verify the stat at some point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM