Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Default When to rebuy, when to addon?

When playing a Rebuy + Addon tourney, are there any rules when its good or bad to rebuy ?

or when its +ev or -ev to buy the addon? e.g. in relation to the stack size or something?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: When to rebuy, when to addon?

rebuy asap so you have the max chips possible. I've yet to see a spot where its -EV to addon online.

The only times i might not rebuy and let myself bust a tournament is in a turbo rebuy sat if i bust like 20mins into the 30 rebuy period, because starting from 3k again 20mins in doesn't seem too worth it
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 AM

limp into the first pot you think you can see a cheap flop with decent cards then add on. You will have double the stack of most others at the table then play aggressive and repeat this if need be. I would always always add on when given the chance. I played a live rebuy but had little chips by the add on period I flipped a coin and added on. I went on to fiish 6th and win £75 that I never would have won if I had not added on for £5
Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
limp into the first pot you think you can see a cheap flop with decent cards then add on. You will have double the stack of most others at the table then play aggressive and repeat this if need be. I would always always add on when given the chance. I played a live rebuy but had little chips by the add on period I flipped a coin and added on. I went on to fiish 6th and win £75 that I never would have won if I had not added on for £5

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much everywhere lets you rebuy before the tournament starts - u dont need to donk off chips to be allowed to rebuy. For stars you need 1500 OR less to rebuy, so u can reuby to 3000 during the 1 min while ppl are getting seated and its waiting to start
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 AM

oh I thought you had to go below your starting chips to rebuy, My bad. Same tactic though rebuy straight away and play very acctive poker try and accumulate alot of chips while idiots are giving them away.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Rebuy whenever possible UNLESS doing so seems ridiculous (like our local live rebuy has rebuys for 2 hours, but you only get 5 BBs for a buyin in hour two). Just use logic and judgement.

I dont add on if doing so adds less than 10% to my stack.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont add on if doing so adds less than 10% to my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

you probably should, supposedly someone did the math here a while back (maybe raymer?) and worked out its +EV to addon up to the point where you have an average stack for ITM. In online mtts its pretty much safe to say always addon, but i guess in some live mtts when lots of the field don't take the addon, or you have a stupidly huge stack it might be -ev but i've yet to come across a spot where i haven't taken an addon, and i play tons of rebuys.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM

do you think, that you can somehow calcute, when it would be -ev ? (talking about addon)

don't know which factors to consider...?

- addon = same costs as rebuy, but more chips
- if it adds 5% to your stacksize e.g. is it still good?
- if you are the bigstack at your table, your effective stack won't get bigger...?

anyone know how to calculate it?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think, that you can somehow calcute, when it would be -ev ? (talking about addon)

don't know which factors to consider...?

- addon = same costs as rebuy, but more chips
- if it adds 5% to your stacksize e.g. is it still good?
- if you are the bigstack at your table, your effective stack won't get bigger...?

anyone know how to calculate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, you move tables so unless its a site where you know you won't move tables (they break in order) then thats not a factor (and even if yours isnt going to break, you might end up having a big stack move to yours). You also have to remember that say you have 10k chips and addon is 1500. You dont take it and go carddead for two hours. When you finally get AA allin vs KK someone who previously had 5k now covers you, and had you taken the addon you would have won 1500 more, then 3k more the next double up and so on.

I have no idea where the post is, but im sure ive heard people say fossilman worked out that unless you have the ave stack for ITM its always +EV, so thats pretty much what i work one. And online your basically never going to have that many chips