Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Microbob\'s online poker thread

So, I'm starting this thread because I want to know the real state of online poker and I think Microbob is the best person to help me do this. He just seems to always (literally, in my experience) make sense. I've been playing online limit holdem for about a year and a half and have had great times, bad times and a lot of in between times. I'm happy with my winnings over this time but things seem really dry lately, especially at limits over 5/10. So, here are my questions for microbob. I would also like to hear responses from other online players but I would prefer if Microbob could somehow confirm the accuracy of these other players' advice. this could get messy but something tells me that Microbob can figure this out. I think if the rest of you ask him questions too, we stand to learn a lot, especially since my questions will come from a limited perspective. By the way, i don't know Microbob, he doesn't know me, and this could turn out to be an extremely lame post if he objects to me thrusting him into such an authoratative role or decides that he doesn't want to give up any information (which would be perfectly understandable). But, ah, what the hell.

Question number:

1. What are the best sites for online limit holdem? I'm only talking about the games. not bonuses.

2. What forms of poker and what limits do you play?

3. Certain forms of cheating seem unavoidable online. IE, two friends calling each other and indicating hole cards. How common do you think this is and is it a major obstacle to online poker success?

4. What do you consider a proper bankroll for the games you would consider playing online?

5. If you make X amount of money per 100, by what rate does x decrease for every table you play simultaneously?

That's it for now. More later.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Microbob\'s online poker thread

for future reference
Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 AM

I suspect bob is going to have a full pm box.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 AM

Lock this thread and have Bob do The Well. Might distract us.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 AM

Badugi - I don't know what that is.

Dorf - thanks for the compliment. But I'm just an outspoken gas-bag who never shuts up.
Doesn't necessarily mean I know everything. Actually, it almost definitely means that I don't.

I'll still give my opinions to your Q's though.

1 - Where are the best games? I have no idea. Seriously. Where do I like to play? Stars because of software, enough game-selection, and incentives. I think I might be missing out by passing up FT though. I'm really not sure.

2 - Mostly limit 6-max. But also some limit full-ring, NL 6-max and full-ring a bit more these days. MTT's. SNG's. I haven't strayed from hold-em though. I'm usually playing 3/6 or 5/10 when I'm playing limit.

3 - I have no idea how common it is nor how concerned one needs to be about it. Probably less dangerous at the lower limits where I am. Certainly doesn't seem to have impeded online-poker's success very much. I really don't think about it.

4 - Since I have no other source of income I prefer to have about 1k BB's for limit. Also cut back in stakes if my roll gets eaten up too much.
Also no harm in actually having more than 1k BB's which I do all the time. The more i have, the less I feel it when I drop 100BB's or more in a day.

5 - This is different for everybody. And i don't even know what this is for me. I do think lots of people are probably playing more tables than they should. I still get sucked into doing that way too often.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:53 AM

This is just weird.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 AM

yeah, i feel a little stalked.
no biggie though.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Badugi - I don't know what that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are enough forums that haven't been infected by The Well yet that you've missed it? See the SSNL master sticky for the most details.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Okay - I actually have seen some Well posts before. Just didn't recognize the name.

Right now I'm part-way through the ElD well thread on SSNL and I'm somewhat inspired and intrigued. Didn't even know that gem was in there.

I really should read through more of the FAQ there.
It appears that even if NL isn't your game there is some extremely valuable stuff.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Bob, I'm feeling down and can't get my money out. What drink do you suggest to help me get over this feeling?