Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Ever Felt Harrassed?

Playing 40-80 Holdem last night. The player in question was one of those who would play pretty well about 80% of the time but then would occassionally make some terrible plays seemingly out of impulsivity. That is, he seemed to work at playing well but occassionally just couldn't keep from doing something stupid.

The hand in question I had KK and had raised UTG. I was the aggressor the whole hand. On the turn the board was 9499, I bet and was called. A Jack came on the river. I bet, he put out 16 chips and was dropping them in the pot in various sized piles, I put in another bet to call and said "I can't beat four nines". At this point he says "Oh I wasn't raising, I was just calling". The dealer said "you put in the raise" and he insisted he did not. She (the dealer) looked at me and said "I can call the Floorman" and I said "please do". Meanwhile the other player kept saying "I didn't say raise" asking various people at the table "Did you hear me say raise?". Universally, the opinion was that he clearly had raised but his argument seemed to be that since he hadn't said raise then he didn't. One player who he seemed to know responded to him "If you're asking my opinion, I raised" to which he responded "I asked you if you heard me say raise".

The floorman came over and was quite clear that it was a raise and told the player he had to put the $80 - he protested a bit but eventually did. I showed my KK and he mucked his hand.

However, he didn't stop. He kept saying to me "You didn't hear me say raise". Then he asked for $40 saying I should split the bet with him to be fair. He kept it up. I told him "The florman made his decision, let it be".

Now, there's no doubt in my mind that this man was trying to play an angle. He was making a move (a stupid one) by raising me on the river and when he saw I was calling and heard my comment he tried to retrieve his bet. If I had any inkling that it had been an honest mistake or that maybe he really didn't intend to raise I might have considered giving him the $40 as a gesture of good will. I however was not going to give in to someone who was attempting to cheat and then intimidate.

Here's my question, when he didn't stop asking me for $40, I was ready to call the floorman over and tell him this player was harrassing me. Before I did this however, the guy took a beat from someone else and stopped bugging me. About twenty minutes later he left and went to the 20-40.

I generally get along with just about everybody and those with whom I don't get along I generally just ingnore. Has anyone had to ask the floor to stop a player from harrassing them? I know this floorman and believe he would have backed me up but I'm not sure what he would have done.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Ever Felt Harrassed?

I have seen a player ask the floor to tell another player to stop talking to him, in my opinion it comes off as a childish, immature thing to do. Either fire back, ignore him, or come up with something creative to make him even more pissed off, but you should be able to fight your own battles!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 PM

This situation is the equivalent to having a drunk player at a blackjack table who is being obnoxious, and they usually get tossed. If the player is bothering you then he is probably bothering someone else in the process. If you are at a cardroom you are there to have a good time and are putting hard earned $$ at risk. Being harassed isn't part of the deal. It sounds like everyone at the table was being bothered by this so just call the floor. He will probably shut up and not say much else (except "raise") for the rest of his session. I think the harassment is more childish then asking him to shut his trap.

Dan's 2 cents
Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM

Your response:

"Shissssshhhhh.........(point with index finger while moving towards your mouth).........I'm stacking your chips."
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen a player ask the floor to tell another player to stop talking to him, in my opinion it comes off as a childish, immature thing to do. Either fire back, ignore him, or come up with something creative to make him even more pissed off, but you should be able to fight your own battles!

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how bad the harassment is. There was some rail bird once long ago at the Bike that thoguth I should put him in a sattelite because I saw how good he played the day before. He was horrible and when I saw security walking by I asked him if he could get his guy to stop bothering me. This was s little differnt becasue I was playing in the plaza and this guy was there begging for money.

edit to add: My friend that was with me bought his leather jacket for a buy in.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:49 AM

You should ask him to stop and if he persists, you should call the floor.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should ask him to stop and if he persists, you should call the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he's great action. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah, the guy is an idiot. You'll run into a few of these guys. Along with the guys who'll berate your play all over the place. To me, it breaks up the monotony of the game. I kinda find it humorous when someone acts like that to me. I take oh, so much joy in watching them lose. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd also rather have them do this to me than someone else at the table. Many times I'll try to redirect someones crap they're giving someone to myself.

But, as RR said, it can go too far. But it would take an awful lot for me to call the floor.

b
Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 AM

My preferred choice is to give as good as I get. Table will enjoy that most, too. Another good option is to completely and totally ignore the guy, like you can't hear him. If you don't react to him, he'll get tired of yammering. You can also just get up and talk a walk--give the guy 10 minutes to calm down or pick a new target. But yeah, if you can't take it anymore or the guy takes it to a serious level, ask for the floor.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever Felt Harrassed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but "her ass" is two words, not one.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, he didn't stop. He kept saying to me "You didn't hear me say raise". Then he asked for $40 saying I should split the bet with him to be fair. He kept it up. I told him "The florman made his decision, let it be".

[/ QUOTE ]

"No, I didn't hear you say raise, but I didn't hear you say call either. You put in chips for a raise. I called."