Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Default About to buy a new monitor

Decided I like the look of a 17" 1600x1280 (LG FB795E-EP) monitor which is very similar in specs to my current monitor.

The only thing stopping me is that I'm finding it hard to get concrete information on what exactly I need.

As I understand, I'll need a new graphics card that can have 2 monitors plug into it, but I'm hearing these can be really expensive? Can anybody confirm a standard price for these things?

Also is there any special stuff my monitors need? I know the new monitor doesn't have a VGA input port, is this going to be a problem?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Re: About to buy a new monitor

If there's no VGA you'll need a DVI capable video card. You can either add one or replace the one you have.

Newegg.com has a selection of <$30 video cards with a DVI and a VGA port. They are friendly and helpful via email.

Changing the video card ranges from insanely simple to mind-numbingly frustrating. Normally it's simple: Remove drivers (go to VGA mode), shut down, replace hardware, boot, install drivers, reboot.

WinXP has great multi monitor support built in, there are various programs to help you manage the monitors and desktop too.