Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Default 5-5 NL FR cold-call river raise with bpnk

After running super bad despite good-to-slightly tilted play and going bust and needing stakeaments for a 5-5 house game, I need a pick-me-up.

5-5 NL live, 6 handed.

UTG ultrastupidlag ($500ish) raises to 20, utg+1 ($1500) a solid and aware player calls, I ($900) call on the button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB calls.

4 to the flop ($80): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets $30 UTG+1 calls, I call, BB folds

3 to the turn ($165): (T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, I check.

3 to the river ($165): (T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets $25, UTG+1 raises to $150. I call, UTG folds.

No physical tells, but I play with UTG+1 and he is very capable of bluff-raising UTG, who is both lag and brainless, on the river. My real question is to reraise or just call on the end.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: BBV crosspost: cold-call river raise with bpnk

Where's the fold and wait for a better spot option?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the fold and wait for a better spot option?

[/ QUOTE ]

What, wait for a better spot? IMO this hand, +EV = call or raise. -EV = fold.

This isn't a donkament.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Looks fine IMO. I don't like a raise because you're not really representing any conceivable hand by bluffing.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine IMO. I don't like a raise because you're not really representing any conceivable hand by bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 cant check a good hand on the turn when i call behind him on the flop. He has to protect a good pair and can fold a marginal hand to a turn raise from me. I actually thought about betting the turn because UTG's turn check = air and UTG+1's turn check = draw, but took the free card with a pair+oesd.

I'm concerned that UTG+1 might be raising for value vs. UTG's air with a hand like 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 66, or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which would require me to bluff reraise.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 PM

yeah, i think you should have bet the turn.

i think you have utg+1 beat a decent amount of the time, i would just be worried about utg overcalling.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: 5-5 NL FR cold-call river raise with bpnk

bad call
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM

OOO... at first I wuz like wtf you donk but then i c UTG with his riv donk bet- actually I dond mind this call b/c anyone could have floated the flop or had busted 89s or somethin (not 89ss cuz that would have probably raised). I like youre thinking to call, however, you should probably take a break if you feel like [censored] and r runnin bad. Honestly, I raise the flop to about $90 and villian dependent on whether i bet $125 on turn or check behind.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My real question is to reraise or just call on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just think calling or raising here is a pretty severe spew. If it worked out for you this time congrats, but I generally think it's terrible.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOO... at first I wuz like wtf you donk but then i c UTG with his riv donk bet- actually I dond mind this call b/c anyone could have floated the flop or had busted 89s or somethin (not 89ss cuz that would have probably raised). I like youre thinking to call, however, you should probably take a break if you feel like [censored] and r runnin bad. Honestly, I raise the flop to about $90 and villian dependent on whether i bet $125 on turn or check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that. I think if I bet turn UTG folds a very high percentage of the time and UTG+1 will fold or cr huge, and I hate that with a hand that has enough outs to call a river bet should I hit one of them (not the 6, though).

I also think that UTG+1 will autobet the river huge if I check the turn after raising the flop, putting me exactly on a missed flush draw or 98. That puts me in a tough spot to call a big river bet if I know his bet is a bluff a solid percentage of the time. Then again, its probably an easier read than having to call a river raise with bpnk.