Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Facing the Heat- Serious Implications?

Hi guys,
I have a pretty serious question and I'm interested in getting forum opinions.

Basically the Des Moines Register which is the main paper in the State of Iowa is interested in doing an indepth profile on me. I was interviewed on the phone by a reporter for a half hour and on Monday the reporter and a photographer are driving to Iowa City to take pictures of my new house that was just built and watch me play poker.

This is my question. What risks are posed by this much extra scrutiny? Basically with the recent developments in online poker (neteller/party poker) is there any chance I could be arrested/charged with a crime for playing online poker?

Does a higher profile pose any other risks?

Also I'm not sure I like the optimism or encouragement this may give people that read this article. I don't want to be a reason people develop gambling problems. I would greatly appreciate any opinions. Thank you
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Facing the Heat- Serious Implications?

seems like there are some possible downsides, with not many upsides. personally i wouldnt do one of these type articles, but i guess nobody is really asking me to do them either.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 PM

i personally would have refused the interview right away.

how strange the government is its surely not too strange if they arrested a few famous online pros just to scare the general public and make a few headlines.

not saying it will happen to you, but how nutzo things are involving our government. i personally would want as little exposure as possible. especially being famous online and a big winner, which you are both of.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to be a reason people develop gambling problems. I would greatly appreciate any opinions. Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

This from the man that taught me how to play craps.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how strange the government is its surely not too strange if they arrested a few famous online pros just to scare the general public and make a few headlines.

not saying it will happen to you, but how nutzo things are involving our government. i personally would want as little exposure as possible. especially being famous online and a big winner, which you are both of.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing online poker is not illegal.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM

yeah. lots of random people will know where u live and know that u (i assume) have lots of expensive stuff. i wouldnt be comfortable with that.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

playing online poker is not illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt mean he couldnt become a target by the us gov. they could haul him in just for headlines and he could undergo tons of legal bs.

look at what they arrested the neteller execs under. those guys arent even american citizens.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Thx for the comments Bap, that is partly what I am interested in. If there is even a 5 percent risk that a zealous prosecutor would come after me then it cant be worth it
Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 PM

yeah. like i said, no upsides really, and tons of possible downsides, even if we arent sure exactly what they could be right now.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 PM

So you think you're going to get fair treatment? Could be, but you could also be quoted out of context, the video content could be edited to show you in any light they choose (ask the duck about selective editing). On the other hand, if there's no such thing as bad publicity...............