Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Ask Borodog

Some of the kinds of things that I might be able to comment on semi-coherently:

- Physics and astrophysics
- Fluid dynamics and CFD
- Accretion disks in binary stars
- Getting a Ph.D.
- Being a college professor
- Lindy Hop/swing dancing and teaching dance
- Austrian economic theory and evolutionary theory (no credentials, but both are major amateur interests)
- Being a pro bono internet a-hole.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Ask Borodog

[ QUOTE ]

Accretion disks in binary stars

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell is it?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM

What is a realistic income for a first-year professor? I realize that it varies based on the discipline, so let's keep it to liberal arts. I'm about to begin teaching high school, but it would be a rather natural transition/goal to earn my Ph.D and begin teaching in college.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Where do you teach?

EDIT: Directed towards OP, sorry for QR confusion
Old 01-18-2007, 02:24 PM

I don't, yet...I'm getting my alternative certification, but I'm going to be teaching in Houston, either Spring Branch ISD or Katy ISD.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM

When two stars are gravitationally bound and orbit their common center of mass, we call it a binary star. In certain types of binaries, the stars orbit close enough to each other that material from one star (either a stellar wind blown from the surface, or the actual surface of the star itself if they are close enough) can be gravitationally captured by the other star. Because the system is rotating, the material from the donor star often cannot fall directly onto the mass-gaining star (or the accretor; to gain mass is called "accretion"), although sometimes it can, if the accretor is large enough. But if the accretor is small enough, the transferred mass can lag behind it and be captured in orbit it. This gas shocks and circularizes, and forms a thin disk around the accretor, called an accretion disk.

In this diagram, a massive star, like an OB supergiant, say 10 solar masses, is in close binary orbit with a compact companion like a black hole or a neutron star. The OB is so large that it's surface is in contact with the point between the two stars where the force along the line of centers is zero; this means the gas in the donor's surface is free to expand (due to thermal pressure) towards the compact star. It does so, and "falls" towards the other star, forming what is called a tidal stream. The tidal stream misses the accretor, whips around it in orbit and "bounces" off of the inside of the accretor's Roche lobe (this is technical; the bounce point is really like the height reached by dropped tennis ball after it bounces; it can't escape the system because that would require more energy than it has from being "dropped" from the surface of the donor). After it "bounces", the gas stream collides with itself, creating fluid dynamic shocks that circularize the flow, forming a disk.

This is a snapshot from a 2d simulation of a High Mass X-Ray Binary (HMXB; in this case, LMC-X4) I made:

Here's a movie from a 3d simulation of a disk forming in such a system that I made about 10 years ago:

http://wonka.physics.ncsu.edu/~blondin/Movies/hmxb.mpg
Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a realistic income for a first-year professor? I realize that it varies based on the discipline, so let's keep it to liberal arts. I'm about to begin teaching high school, but it would be a rather natural transition/goal to earn my Ph.D and begin teaching in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started at $45,500 the first university I taught at after receiving my Ph.D. I'm not sure about liberal arts though.

Edit to add:

This was a hard thing for me. I went back to school to complete my Ph.D. after 3 years in industry, and ended up taking a fairly massive pay cut when I went into academia. Thus far my salary has never recovered to its pre-Ph.D. levels.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you teach?

EDIT: Directed towards OP, sorry for QR confusion

[/ QUOTE ]

A major state university in North Carolina.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:45 PM

How long did you take to get your PhD.

I took 42 months, wondered if I burned you or not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started at $45,500 the first university I taught at after receiving my Ph.D. I'm not sure about liberal arts though.

Edit to add:

This was a hard thing for me. I went back to school to complete my Ph.D. after 3 years in industry, and ended up taking a fairly massive pay cut when I went into academia. Thus far my salary has never recovered to its pre-Ph.D. levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. This just about makes me want to vomit. That's just slightly more than double what I'm making right now as a grad student, and not that much more than I thought I'd make as a postdoc. Hell, that's not that much better than a high school teacher. Is this seriously typical? What the hell am I doing getting my Ph. D. with the idea of becoming a professor?

Also, you're a lindy hopper? I had started to believe I was the only one here. I'd posted about it a few times, but no one spoke up saying they were, too. Well, other than The Dude, once, who took a couple lessons and wanted some advice on music. How long have you been dancing? What is your home scene, or what scenes have you called home? How many exchanges have you been to? What's been your favorite exchange or workshop weekend?

Edited to add: I read North Carolina as North California. Given that it's the former, I have another question. Were you at the MezzJelly Blues Weekend in Raliegh this past August?