Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Default $100 live tournament hand--JJ UTG with 17 players left

Started with about 85 players, 17 left, top 10 cash.

I have just been moved to a new table, and so have little information on the players.

The blinds are at 400/800 with a 100 ante. I am UTG with 15,000 in chips (probably slightly above average).

I look down at JJ, and raise to 3,000. Everyone folds around to the BB, who quickly moves all in. He has 400 fewer chips than me.

I begin to talk to him, asking him questions. My feeling initially, before talking to him, is that he has QQ, KK, AA, or AK.

After asking him a few questions about his hand, how he plays, etc. I feel that he is putting me on a middling pair, and is trying to steal with AK, AQ, AJ, maybe even KQ. He seemed extremely uncomfortable, and very weak. My impression was that he really didn't want a call. At the same time I have never, under similar circumstances, risked my tournament calling an all in with JJ.

Any thoughts? How much trust do you put into your read here (assuming it's similar to mine)? Do you just fold automatically?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: $100 live tournament hand--JJ UTG with 17 players left

Your "tournament" consists of a 15bb stack, 13.5 if your factor the blinds coming through. Not desperate, but not stellar either.
Doubling through positions you to make a run at 1st. Factor in your read(add TT to his range) and I think I call this pretty quick.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM

limp with your hand if you even thinking about folding to a JAM from BB
Old 01-18-2007, 02:53 PM

it would take a pretty strong read or to fold JJ w/ 15 blinds to a single player. Call and be happy to see AQ or 99 there often.

Or fold your way to a $200 10th place gaurantee.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Started with about 85 players, 17 left, top 10 cash.

I have just been moved to a new table, and so have little information on the players.

The blinds are at 400/800 with a 100 ante. I am UTG with 15,000 in chips (probably slightly above average).

I look down at JJ, and raise to 3,000. Everyone folds around to the BB, who quickly moves all in. He has 400 fewer chips than me.

I begin to talk to him, asking him questions. My feeling initially, before talking to him, is that he has QQ, KK, AA, or AK.

After asking him a few questions about his hand, how he plays, etc. I feel that he is putting me on a middling pair, and is trying to steal with AK, AQ, AJ, maybe even KQ. He seemed extremely uncomfortable, and very weak. My impression was that he really didn't want a call. At the same time I have never, under similar circumstances, risked my tournament calling an all in with JJ.

Any thoughts? How much trust do you put into your read here (assuming it's similar to mine)? Do you just fold automatically?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's my in the BB, live tellbox that I am, I would feel and look uncomfortable with anything less than AA and try and replicate exactly the same manner with AA.

If I've raised 20% of my stack pre-flop, then I'm calling any single push, especially a BB defence. I could maybe think about folding if I'd raised 2k. 2k would be my standard raise at this blind level anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:16 PM

AA, KK, QQ: dead
AK AQ KQ coinflip
AJ good postiion (but AJ has to be bottom of his range here)

my guess is he has AK here and is 'weak' in that he wants no call but has hand in case

pot odds are 1200 + (800?) + 3,000 (yours) plus 14600+~ 19,500 you have 12,000 left (about 1.5 to one)

i fold

Brian
Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM

After making the raise of 3,000 I realized that it seemed pretty gutless, it was screaming, "Please fold!" And if I were in the BB's position and looked at AJ or AQ, maybe even TT, I'd push too, thinking that UTG had a pair like 77, 88, 99, etc, and was hoping to just walk with the blinds and ante's.

The field in this tournament had been thus far very poor, and I felt that if I were to double through here (putting me in 1 or 2 in chips) I would certainly cash in the top 5, and have a great shot at winning.

That fact, along with my read, led me to call. BB turned over KJo.

The flop brought a K, and I now had 400 in chips.

Needless to say it stung, and left me pondering whether I had made the right decision, and thinking of other ways to have played the hand, even though as it was played I was racing with a player who had 3 cards in the deck to beat me, so really I couldn't have hoped for a better situation.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM

I really like a limp-push line with this hand but that is somewhat unconventional.

As played I call this 100% of the time online.

Live I will go with my read but I would need a really strong read to lay it down. I would ask myself if he is pushing TT in this spot. If he is then I am all in.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After making the raise of 3,000 I realized that it seemed pretty gutless, it was screaming, "Please fold!" And if I were in the BB's position and looked at AJ or AQ, maybe even TT, I'd push too, thinking that UTG had a pair like 77, 88, 99, etc, and was hoping to just walk with the blinds and ante's.

The field in this tournament had been thus far very poor, and I felt that if I were to double through here (putting me in 1 or 2 in chips) I would certainly cash in the top 5, and have a great shot at winning.

That fact, along with my read, led me to call. BB turned over KJo.

The flop brought a K, and I now had 400 in chips.

Needless to say it stung, and left me pondering whether I had made the right decision, and thinking of other ways to have played the hand, even though as it was played I was racing with a player who had 3 cards in the deck to beat me, so really I couldn't have hoped for a better situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

with 15 blinds doyle brunson and barry greenstien's love child couldn't pass up that edge. not passing up that edge is what makes you a better player.