Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Holding chips over the commit line.

Bellagio 15/30

It's h/u on the river and I have every intention of betting my straight. As I pick up my chips my opponent holds $30 in chips over the commit line and about 1/4 inch above the felt. When I make my bet he pulls back his chips and folds.

Did my opponent shoot an angle here, and if so should he be required to call? Also, is it correct to call for a floor ruling in this spot? The guy was a donater, so I didn't want to rock the boat, but in retrospect I feel like I should have called for a ruling.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Holding chips over the commit line.

He can't call before you bet, so his putting his hand over the commit line seems irrelevent, also the chips aren't on the felt which they usually have to be. Anyone remember Matusow in the WSOP? I think this depends slightly on where you are, but I think every time this should be a non action by him.

I do this sort of sometimes, by that I mean I sort of play with my chips looking like I'm about to throw them in, just to see if I get a reaction, but they definatly never go over the line.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Any action out of turn is not binding, so unless he had his chips out there after you bet, it doesn't matter. Plus tapping on the fish tank for one bet is never a good idea.....
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any action out of turn is not binding, so unless he had his chips out there after you bet, it doesn't matter. Plus tapping on the fish tank for one bet is never a good idea.....

[/ QUOTE ]

They were still over the line after I bet.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM

On the contrary I think you would be angle shooting if you tried to use this to make him call even though he didn't want to. Glad you didn't call the floor though. Then you'd be a nit and an angle shooter.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He can't call before you bet, so his putting his hand over the commit line seems irrelevent, also the chips aren't on the felt which they usually have to be. Anyone remember Matusow in the WSOP? I think this depends slightly on where you are, but I think every time this should be a non action by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some rooms in Vegas don't allow the Matusow move. The line isn't in play. That's true also at Bay 101 in NorCal. A guy went all-in, his opponent tried the Matusow move and then pulled his chips back. Floor was called and the floor explained to the guy that the line is not in play. Since he made a forward motion with his chips, it was ruled a bet even though he didn't touch the felt.