Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Default opponent selection

I'm a relatively new player. My BB/100 is right about at 1 after 15,000 hands of playing 3/6 and 5/10 6-max tables.

Generally to this point when selecting tables I've generally just focused on finding the loosest tables possible. Lately I've been starting to wonder (as my BB/100 has shrunk from as high as 2 down to the current 1) if searching for players with low aggression factors might be more profitable. It seems when I get to be table bully, I win. My aggression rating is 1.9. However, when I sit down with multiple people with ratings of 2, 3 and higher, I tend to lose more.

Is this standard, or is it more of a function of one's own style? What am I failing to adjust for against the hyper-aggressive players?

My other stats so far:

VPIP- 25.26
VPIP from SB-34.24
FoldSBtoSteal-72.14
FoldBBtoSteal-60.62
AttStealblinds-28.29
Won$Wsf- 36.15
Went to SD-31.04
Won $ at SD- 57.54
PF Raise % - 12.38 (probably needs to be higher)
Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: opponent selection

vry toight stats

Look for loose passives, and very loose aggressives
Loose tables are fine, but usually id want something like this:

2 seats to my left theres a weak-tight BB who folds to steals a lot and plays bad postflop. To my direct left theres a player with a low SB vpip that plays bad postflop.
1 and 2 seats to my immediatea right there are 2 guys with huge vpips. I prefer them to be passive, but if they are aggressive thats fine too. Also a loose player in the seat accross from me is just dandy.

Barring that, a loose passive callstation table is nice too. Very easy to play it.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM

These are awesome stats for players on your left and right (i'm in the middle).

This is a 5max table.

You are definitely right that passive is more important than loose. LAGs are tough to beat.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 PM

its not that lags are that hard to beat, you just have to be aware that they sometimes stumble upon the correct play when they c/r mid/bottom pair constantly. Just watch their betting patterns they arent too hard to pick up usually.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Now that you guys mention it, I'm definitely not paying enough attention to my relative position to certain players.

Generally I have just found the loosest tables, signed up for the waiting list, and then just hopped in whereever I get in... not realizing till just recently the spot that opens up on a real loose table more often than not is the seat to the right of the loose maniac.