Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Default QQ late stages against the chip leader

Wood already used the title I wanted: "don't like my options" - would appreciate your thoughts.

$50 mutli on Pokerroom, 275 entries, 12 left on 2 tables, typical payout structure.

I'm 2nd or 3rd in chips w/ ~53k, leader has ~60k and is to my right, tightly bunched on our table - ranging from ~30k-60k, 2 or 3 on the other table at 10-15k.

Blinds 800/1600, no ante.

Table has been moderately quiet - no walks, but few reraises. I'd expect I'm viewed as TAG, villian as been somewhat looser but nothing out of line, other players haven't been out of line either.

Hero UTG+1 (or hijack 6 handed) w/ QQ

Villian chip leader UTG leads for 4800.

Hero?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: QQ late stages against the chip leader

I saw make it 12-15k. That should make it so that you're not risking too much of your stack and letting him know that you have a strong hand. Especially since you have been tight, this should make him fold anything worse than AKs. If he re-shoves then you have an interesting situation on your hand.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Hero reraises to 13K-17K. You could also push, which is an overbet. A push might be misread as AK and called by 99-JJ.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wood already used the title I wanted: "don't like my options" - would appreciate your thoughts.

$50 mutli on Pokerroom, 275 entries, 12 left on 2 tables, typical payout structure.

I'm 2nd or 3rd in chips w/ ~53k, leader has ~60k and is to my right, tightly bunched on our table - ranging from ~30k-60k, 2 or 3 on the other table at 10-15k.

Blinds 800/1600, no ante.

Table has been moderately quiet - no walks, but few reraises. I'd expect I'm viewed as TAG, villian as been somewhat looser but nothing out of line, other players haven't been out of line either.

Hero UTG+1 (or hijack 6 handed) w/ QQ

Villian chip leader UTG leads for 4800.

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

PUSH. now YOU are the chip leader.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw make it 12-15k. That should make it so that you're not risking too much of your stack and letting him know that you have a strong hand. Especially since you have been tight, this should make him fold anything worse than AKs. If he re-shoves then you have an interesting situation on your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he pushes, then you call. The pot odds are too good at this point. You have 35xBB. Not deep enough to fold QQ in normal circumstances.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . and to avoid this you can push here and make HIM decide for all of his chips. If you are playing to win, I gotta believe this is the better option unless you are committed to calling his push prior to making your bet. If he has AA-KK, then "nice hand, sir".
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM

Hit it hard. T12000...your in the deep end of the pool now. He pushes well gl to him.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM

that's not hitting it hard at all. I'd go more like 15000
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM

is flat calling an option here??

i'm new to MTTs - if hero flat calls the raise it'd make any flop w/ an A/K easier to get away from. is this the wrong spot to use this logic? advice appreciated.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . and to avoid this you can push here and make HIM decide for all of his chips. If you are playing to win, I gotta believe this is the better option unless you are committed to calling his push prior to making your bet. If he has AA-KK, then "nice hand, sir".

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you are going to call a third raise. If he has AA-KK, you have pot odds and a 20% chance to win.

I don't think pushing is bad. However, if you raise, your only big problem is if villain flat calls and an ace flops.