Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Default 99, Bay 101 100

I am unknown since I rarely get down to SanJo and when I do I usually play the 40.

I get 9s9x in late position and raise one limper. BB and limper call. Both players have been active and I am picking up (not always reliable) vibes that they want to mix it up with me.

Flop is Qs 6s 3x. Checked to me, I bet, BB calls, other guy folds. Turn is Js, BB now donks, I hesitate and call. River is Ax, BB bets quickly.

Thoughts on both the turn and river are welcome.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: 99, Bay 101 100

If you think BB may be taking shots at you, then I think calling with the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is fine on the turn. However, by the river I think you have to give up. You only have 4th pair, and if BB was semi bluffing the turn with a straight draw or high [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] he probably just caught a hand.

Just my opinion...
Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Turn: I think that we're sort of handcuffed into a call here. Raising is generally just going to fold out weaker hands, many of which don't have that many outs against us; or, it's going to cost us an extra bet against a made hand that has become afraid of the flush draw (or perhaps more if we get three-bet). The only situation in which a raise is good is against an opponent with only a draw, but I think that adds up to a relatively modest portion of his range. The uncertainty about the quality of our own flush draw (it's probably too good to fold in this scenario) gives me all the more reason to call.

River: This is a tough spot. If you have any sort of feeling from the timing tell (BB's quick river bet), I'd be very inclined to go with that, as this situation will be close either way. We are certainly not winning that often. The Ax makes one major chunk of hands that we were beating on the turn (A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Xx). I'm not that afraid of a Q considering the flop action, and I imagine a good J would be very inclined to check this river in a lot of circumstances. So I can certainly talk myself into a call here against the right player, though folding is probably slightly more "default."
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM

Most of the time we need a better read to fold, but I think in this situation you need a better read to call on river. Turn call is fine.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time we need a better read to fold, but I think in this situation you need a better read to call on river. Turn call is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting replies so far. Nobody's mentioned raising the river yet...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM

raise the river
Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM

What're the chances he has a bare queen? With a raise you're basically assuming he's got a better than 1:3.63 chance of that holding or something weird like 76. People in that game won't 3-bet pure bluff there so that's not a concern, and he's going to have a hard time calling the raise with only a Q. I don't like calling the river, but a raise may just be the right play here. I think raise/fold is a close decision.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the river

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM

In the games I play in, this sort of quick river bet after your hesistant call on the turn usually means that he's bluffing a missed draw - a hand with an A would hesistate for a beat to feign weakness (this seems like really 1st-level "strong means weak" stuff, but I see it even from some of the better players).

Of course, I've never played even close to this high.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 AM

This thread has been kinda disappointing.

Where have all the posters gone? Is this hand just super boring?