Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Another questionable KK hand, .10/.20 O8

Me in BB w/ KK78 DS. Table is loose, passive/agressive mix. Villian tends to the agressive side. Stacks are all about the same. ( <u>+</u>20BB)

Lots of limpers, I check

flop is 569 rainbow.

Well, I have the nut str8, but I hate that. My plan for this hand is to check the flop, hope no one bets, try for a check/raise on the turn if it looks like it didn't help anybody or somebody makes a lo and starts betting.

Is that right?

Turn is A, still rainbow. I check, checks around to villian in LP. Bet, fold fold I raise. So far so good

3 callers and villian raises. What does he have, what should I do now?

What I did was, cap.

I have a hard time putting villian on a set of Aces, he would have raised PF. A low and 2 pair is most likely, maybe a low and a set. I think it's not very likely he has a low and the same str8.

either way, there are still 5 of us left at the river.

What's your plan for the river if the last card:

a) is a brick
b) pairs the board

My plan for a) is bet/call. I think that is better than check/call.

My plan for b is check/call if it's 1 bet, check/fold if it's 2 or more bets?

Regards

Gar
Old 01-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Another questionable KK hand, .10/.20 O8

You want to clear out backdoor draws on the flop and bloat the pot with your likely equity advantage. You don't want this to be 5-handed at the river; you want this to be heads up at the river.

Since you don't quite make the action clear throughout the hand, I'm not sure what your best line is on each individual street, but I certainly hate check/calling the flop.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:53 PM

I didn't bet the flop because I figured If I bet out, everybody would call, thus giving them proper odds to call a double bet on the turn, and if the villian bet in LP, I could check/raise, giving them the opportunity to call a double bet incorrectly on the flop.

I guess I remember too many times that the nut str8 on the flop doesn't hold up on the river.

I read that the best way to protect a vulnerable hand like this is to figure out how to make the pot odds as unattractive as possible.

If I could have counted on one of the EP guys to raise, I would have bet out, but I thought a bet was more likely from one of the LP guys.

The action was check flop, check/raise/reraise turn,

Regards

Gar
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM

The only reason I would check this flop (in limit) is to try and angle for a check-raise. Probably I'd sooner bet, just to guarantee more money in the pot; keep in mind too that letting everyone see another card for free means that every crappy backdoor flush draw now has a chance to hose you. Some of those backdoor flush draws will probably fold to a bet on the flop.
With five people still in the hand on the turn, I think capping is fine. I wouldn't cap this with fewer than four opponents though; odds of getting freerolled by one of many hands like 2378, 78TJ, 7899 or whatever would be too high.
Anyway, just in general, it sounds like you are questioning your decision to bet hard here, maybe because you got burned. But even a fragile hand like this one should have more than 20% pot equity; I think betting is correct (and I'm pretty sure it's correct with five people paying even if you know that one of them has 78xx with a freeroll to a better high).
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 AM

I feel confident I know how to play this.

In almost all situations, I only qualified because I can't think of one is to never bet the flopped straight in Omaha. In your situation. This hand will never be the nuts to scoop on the river. There will either be a higher straight or a low.

Every low draw and every two pair or better draw will call the flop bet.

The big thing is I think you need to try to thin the field and invest as little as possible.

On the turn its a matter of what is the best way to thin the field. Either bet out or go for c/r. I'll leave that to your opinion.

On the turn if a low card comes I'm just smooth calling, figuring their is no way you can scoop. You also want the money in from the other players. If a high card comes. Try to thin the field.

P.S. Pray for the King on the turn.