Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Stack/range ratios

What is a good range to put on a person based on how many BB's they have? Here is mine, please give me any input and what yours would be.

BB Range
0 -------- 90%
2 -------- 80
5 -------- 60
8 -------- 45
12 -------- 30
20 -------- 50

The reason it goes up at 20 BB's is because I think the big stack will call the short stack all in more freely.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Stack/range ratios

ehhh idk about all that, obviously as you have more BB you can loosen up and in the middle you are tighter, the shortstacks are real aggressive also so at the extremes it can be hard to put players on specific hands but the big stacks can also try to bully and play loose also, middle of the pack is usually easy to read.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM

What range ? Calling or pushing range ? What stake also ? (the lower the stake, the higher the calling range, for exemple).
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Interesting thoughts Jww, my assumption here is that you are thinking about ranges with which people will call pushes...

Looked at the dynamic of one big stack 3 smallies on the bubble on my blog today - and think there are a few more factors you would need to consider other than number of BBs the guy you are pushing into has.

Firstly the ratio of your stack to his, for example whether have your opponent covered at the bubble or the other way around. If you are a mini-stack this would affect the guys range as much as the absolute number of blinds he had...

Secondly the situation of the other stacks... someone with 12BBs would not be calling 30% if there are 2 other smaller stacks at the table and you had them covered...

An 'average' player is hard to define - someone who understands ICM / Bubble play will usually call tighter and push lighter than someone who does not...

The list could go on - nice thought process though.

Cheers, Mark
http://plan3tgongpoker.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM

The other thing is position. In the SB i am pushing almost 100% with like 8 BB or less (assuming i am one of the shorties etc), whereas i have to be much tighter UTG (lets say 5-handed). So my pushing/calling range is pretty positional dependent. I don`t know if people in other buy-ins push/call without considering position...