Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Default 50r - 88 in LP..folding overpair... standard?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1150)
UTG+1 (t1350)
MP1 (t860)
MP2 (t1080)
Hero (t2050)
Button (t2310)
SB (t1540)
BB (t3160)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="red">Button raises to t100</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t50, Hero calls t50

Flop: (t325) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

Open raise this? I dont know whats better, limping and letting somebody else take control of the hand...or open raising and cbetting most flops if you get the pot HU. Limping lets you call a small raise for set value obviously that open raising doesn't because the reraise is too big for you to call.

What does 2p2 think about open limping in this blind level? I find the 25/50 blind level quite tricky to play. 50/100 im always open raising or folding though. thats standard right?

is the overpair fold a bit weak? figured i would rather save my chips for pushbotting stages.,
Old 01-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 50r - 88 in LP..folding overpair... standard?

Raise pf the first time.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:53 PM

i think u should raise preflop. It seems like u are beat on the river
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM

What do you think of open limping in general at this blind level?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:54 PM

dont like it. raise this from the CO
Old 01-13-2007, 08:05 PM

You have to ask your self what you hope to accomplish in this spot?

To me, limping is so that you can see a cheap flop, maybe hit a huge hand, and reap the rewards of favourable implied odds.

So, is this a situation wherer this applies? Well, even at 25/50 stacks are getting pretty shallow, so implied odds are now starting to get limited. Also, as the blinds increase, people are more interested in charging limpers to see a flop, so cheap flops are less frequent.

So, basically, this leads to this not being a good spot to limp 88. However, 88 is way too strong from the CO to fold. So, you should be coming in for a raise. The 75 in the middle is worth adding to your stack, while 88 is strong enough that it's not the end of the world if you get called. However, you don't want to be playing this hand multiway, so you don't want multiple callers.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM

I agree with everything you said DevilLuke ...what do you think of the fold? You think he is just using his position? even if he is ..do you agree i can find a better spot to commit my chips?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything you said DevilLuke ...what do you think of the fold? You think he is just using his position? even if he is ..do you agree i can find a better spot to commit my chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say without a specific read. But, I think in general I lean toward believing people. I don't think many are capable of this with two overs. I'd give him credit for an over pair to my 88.

I hate min raises in sngs, because it really sucks to think you are letting them bluff you for so cheap, but I do think you can find better spots.