Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Default 200NL KK

This hand may be pretty basic, but it nevertheless had me thinking and I would like your opinion.

Cryptologic 200$NL 6 max, effective stacks 200. I have only a few hands on villain, no read. I have been playing Tag-ish, around 22/15, and at least 80% of my reraises has been TT+ , AQ/AK. It is however likely villain has no read on me either.

The hand went like this:

UTG raises 8, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, I make it 30 on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Blinds fold, Utg calls, Utg+1 folds.

Flop ($72)
5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet $45, utg calls.

Turn ($162) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I figured that it was unlikely that villain had two diamonds, since he called the raise pf. (He could have AKs or AQs, but thats about it I guess).

I choose to check turn, in order to let villain bet smaller pairs with diamond. Villain bets $75, and I push my remaining $145.

Is this a bad idea, should I instead bet turn to make sure to charge smaller pairs with a diamond, or should I alltogether avoid playing for stacks here and find a fold somewhere?

One thing I think I misplayed was the flop, I should have bet a bit more.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: 200NL KK

I would probably bet more on flop just because it makes getting your stack in easier on the turn.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 PM

I also bet the flop more
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 PM

I think generally speaking the flop is fine, but with the stack sizes how they are betting a small amount more on the flop would be better, so you can push the turn for ~3/4pot. That being said, it's easier in hindsight to realise that betting 5-10 more on the flop is going to prove somewhat important - that kind of math is not super easy to do in the short amount of time that you get, so i don't think you can really be faulted for your flop play.

I don't like c/r'ing the turn because, contrary to what you said, i think pairs with diamonds are more likely to check, which sucks really bad, so i would just bet away. And LOL to folding ever, no way.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I think you are right that checkraising the turn is bad, and that I should bet closer to pot on the flop - I guess my judgement was a bit clouded by a horrible session. (In this particular hand villain called my $30 raise with 22 and flopped a boat :-/ )
Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your replies.

I think you are right that checkraising the turn is bad, and that I should bet closer to pot on the flop - I guess my judgement was a bit clouded by a horrible session. (In this particular hand villain called my $30 raise with 22 and flopped a boat :-/ )

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be on the button and still check-raise the turn?

The action seems wierd for being on the button with KK, but acting first before UTG on each of the post flop streets.