Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Default XP User Account Passwords

I have three computers behind a router. I'm the only one that uses any of the computers.

Right now, I require passwords and have a different password for each user account. Is this really necessary, does it make me any less secure if I stopped requiring xp passwords on login?

-Trebek
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: XP User Account Passwords

Yes and no. Your computers are "secure" from the average Joe walking up and looking at your documents but they are not secure from someone who has the time and knowledge of how to easily crack the XP login passwords. So my point is this....if you are just trying to keep a family members/roommate/guest from getting on your computers, then yes, the XP login password is an excellent idea. I use them for just that. On the other hand, if you don't really care that anyone can walk up to your computer and browse through your data, then feel free to remove the passwords. No harm done.

But again, do not use the simple XP login passwords to protect important/sensitive private data from prying eyes. An encryption program like True Crypt should be used for that.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

- Jason
Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 PM

what are you trying to protect against?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:47 PM

i'm really only worried about some hacker or trojan infecting my computer to access it. i wasn't sure if having a password on the user account will add another layer of security or if the passwords even affect this kind of a threat.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Sukit, I thought that might be where you were going with the question and it is a common misconception that many people make. Fully understandable. But nope, the password doesn't keep out hackers, trojans etc. You mentioned that you were behind a router and that's great. The router will act as your hardware firewall between you and the net and will in most cases protect you from hacker attacks. Have a good anti-virus running on those computers to prevent/detect any viruses or trojans that would open up "back doors" for hackers, and you should be good to go.

So if you aren't worried about prying eyes that might wonder by your computers, remove those passwords if you like.

Hope this helps and good luck.

-Jason
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 AM

that's what i figured. thanks for the answer.