Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Small Pair in Position

I just sat down at this table and had pretty much no reads on anyone, this is a general situation that I encounter a lot and I don't know if i should have even called the raise preflop with my hand, and the rest of my play was just a mess, what would you guys do here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.15
CO: $25
Hero: $24.65
SB: $55.85
BB: $28.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $3.75</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($15, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $10</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in $14.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $10.9</font>.
Uncalled bets: $3.7 returned to BB.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($56.8, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $56.8)

Results:
Final pot: $56.8
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed 6s 6d</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB showed Ks Ah</font>
Old 01-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Small Pair in Position

i fold the flop without a read.
you're most likely beat now, and your implied odds are relatively small if you hit that str8.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Small Pair in Position

Given the stack sizes, once you call this you are pot-committed. You also have little or no folding equity, as Villain seems pot-committed also.

If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], you are a 5:3 dog
If he has AA (no spade), you are a 3:2 dog
If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you are a slight (52:48) favorite
If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], you are a 3:1 favorite
Obviously A2, 77, 76 and a set have you in bad shape, but given the action, I would discount hands like this.

You are getting 2.5:1 pot odds on the flop call and implied odds of 2.2:1 on going all-in. Therefore, you would need to win between 40-45% of the time to make this an EV+ call.

Therefore, it depends on what your read of Villain is. Since you have no reads, you need to decide of a 2/3 pot continuation bet on the flop, with two limpers behind, is enough to force you to fold.

No one would criticize you for folding in that spot and waiting for a better opportunity.

With the OESD, the overpair and the backdoor flush possibilities, and the possibility that Villain is c-betting on overcards, I could convince myself to stack off and re-raise all-in on the flop to get heads up with Villain.

Calling is not an option.