Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 03:56 AM

Default I check and call and fold... all on the flop

4 decisions in this hand, and I probably screwed all of them up.

Commercial 20/40. Folded to a hyper-aggro girl in the hijack who borders on maniac but doesn't play total crap hands. She'll open any suited A, any two broadway, any PP from 55+, and decent suited connectors. She's probably a 35/25/12. She bets most streets checked to her, she loves to checkraise, and she stabs at any river on a bluff if there's a minute chance she can take it down.

A lot of the pots she wins are by raising one pair on the turn, and a lot of times when she bets the river and is called she just mucks face down. I have a good read on her because I've played with her a lot, and so far tonight I've 3-bet/isolated her with ATo on the button and won w/o a showdown on a T9762 board; I also check-called her on the river (bluff-inducer) with 77 on a T9833 board. She had A-high.

OK, so I probably just wrote too much there. Anyway she open-raises from the hijack and a tight, older Commerce pro (plays stud sometimes, looks like Blair Rodman but isn't) 3-bets her from the CO.

Button folds and I look down at A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB. I decide to cap it. BB folds and MP/CO call.

Flop comes down J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, MP checks, CO bets, I think for a while and call, MP check-raises, CO 3-bets, and I fold.

Opinions please on the PF play, and all three flop decisions.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: I check and call and fold... all on the flop

i like, if i counted right you are getting 19-2 on your call, plus there is a good chance that MP will cap it which is even worse...it is very likely that you are up against a set/overpair(including AA/KK) such that your outs are significantly tainted, plus the Q spades leads to very likely redraws, and if someone has a set or makes a set they have a lot of outs to redraw...nice hand...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 AM

PJ, the only thing I would do differently is call all bets on the flop. Just too likely you have 7 outs and you always have 3 to the nuts. But it's close, so I wouldn't sweat it if you mucked.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 AM

Preflop could go either way. You figure to be way ahead of the woman and the pro could be lighter than normal here. That calls for a cap.

The case for the cold call is the advantage of deception and you know that the woman is the type to try to shut anyone out of this big pot. Dropping the hammer is satisfactory the 1/3 of the time your hand hits.

All things considered I have a mild preference for the cold call, maybe 60/40.

Had you cold called out of the blind, the pot may be small enough that the woman may have waited until the turn to make her move.

As you played it, a fold here is fine. Your overs are dirty enough and a cap is likely. They priced you out. I prefer a fold to continuing. Had you the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], it becomes a call.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 AM

i usually bet the flop.. unless they've seen you check in a similar spot w/ jj or aa. but yeah, fold when it gets back to you; it's too likely you're reverse dominated.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Your hand is faceup because you forgot to bet the flop. Since you didn't I think capping is pretty hot and might get tight guy to make a big fold on the turn.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-12-2007, 08:02 AM

[censored] DRAW TO YOUR GOD DAMN GUTSHOTS LIKE A MAN, DAMN IT!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM

If your going to check the flop, I like a check-call if MP bets and CO doesn't raise, or a c/r to isolate CO. I know its a bit FPS, but it screams monster to the CO who probably doesn't know better.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 AM

FWIW, i would feel more comfortable folding when it's bet/raise/3-bet than check/check/bet/call/c/r/3-bet....

i would fold and feel good about it as played though.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Bet the flop because maybe she has A7 and he has 99 and they'll both fold and you'll win a big pot or if they have hands that hit that flop then you usually have a bunch of outs anyway and you might even still have the best hand and if you bet you get to avoid folding on the flop with all your outs in this big pot and I think you should bet the flop because the pot is big.