Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Beat: A guy I never met cost me $3800

So I currently work as a technical recruiter. What that entails is I have a diary of computer programmers, business analysts, network engineers, project managers and quant analysts and help them get jobs with the major brokerage houses and financial institutions in Manhattan and throughout the tri-state area. I then get paid commission which works out to be a % of the applicants base salary and in some cases its based on total comp. We also guarantee the placement for 3 months. Well I got this Q/A a job with the American Stock Exchange and his first day was December 19th. I just receieved an e-mail today from AMEX saying he resigned and was taking a role with Goldman Sachs who happens to be one of our largest clients. Therefore I have to return the $3800 commission I recieved.

BEAT: A guy quits the job I got for him when he was out of work and it costs me almost $4,000
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Beat: A guy I never met cost me $3800

Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM

I am very angry cause this guy was a big scumbag to begin with and I had to fight with their HR department for them to hire him cause I guess he is not that good.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I currently work as a technical recruiter. What that entails is I have a diary of computer programmers, business analysts, network engineers, project managers and quant analysts and help them get jobs with the major brokerage houses and financial institutions in Manhattan and throughout the tri-state area. I then get paid commission which works out to be a % of the applicants base salary and in some cases its based on total comp. We also guarantee the placement for 3 months. Well I got this Q/A a job with the American Stock Exchange and his first day was December 19th. I just receieved an e-mail today from AMEX saying he resigned and was taking a role with Goldman Sachs who happens to be one of our largest clients. Therefore I have to return the $3800 commission I recieved.

BEAT: A guy quits the job I got for him when he was out of work and it costs me almost $4,000

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same line of work (IT recruiter). We get this kind of crap all of the time. Contract workers have no loyalty and are going to take the best pay rate. I'm always baffled why they all choose to burn bridges before they leave, making them ineligible for rehire.

I also keep a "Wall of Shame," where I post the "best" worst resumes/e-mail correspondence. It makes BBV look like a kindergarten playground.

"I am having exelent comunicative and orative communicashun skils." Things like that.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM

You do this for a living and this has never happened before?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:10 PM

you know, i lose a lot of money to many people i've never met almost every time play online poker
Old 01-11-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do this for a living and this has never happened before?

[/ QUOTE ]

word. people switch jobs...like a lot. variance??
Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM

isn't this type of thing super standard in your line of work?

edit: thats gay, i wrote this post like a half hour ago but it didn't get entered until now for some reason. obv wouldn't have bothered had i seen the 2 or 3 posts saying the same thing
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM

they pay you the commission before the 3 months is up? well that's just stupid.

p.s. tell all your colleagues to stop calling me about jobs that have nothing to do with my field, thx.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 PM

People falling out happens alot. This one hurts bad though because I fought for him to get this job. I put in alot of extra work than what I would normally do for such a small commission and he screwed me over and did not even call me to let me know.
Something else everyone might find interesting. In my line of work I deal with people of all sorts of nationalities but at least 50% of my applicants are from Asia and specifically either China or India. People from China are great, they are almost always true to their word. People from India for the most part are very very unethical. They lie about everything and have no respect for anyone.This bothers me but in the end I do not care, I use them to make me money. Just thought I would share that information about what I have seen in my time in this business.