Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 AM

Default simple preflop question from Aussie Millions prelim event

The tournament:

Today's $1600AU "featured event". $1k bounty on select pros, 20 second time bank to act on your hand, no antes at any point. (Other stuff too, but this is not relevant). Blinds start at 25/50 and starting stacks are 4000.

The table:

7-handed. Dan Alspach directly on my left. Lee Watkinson directly on his left. (They are both bounty pros.) Player I have assessed as donkish on his left (almost all his moves are limp or shove). Loose big stack on his left. Two reasonably good but unknown players on my right.

Table was loose preflop in the early levels but has tightened up. Specifically, Alspach was limping in a lot but has stopped, Watkinson has been solid, the donk is mostly limp/folding except the two hands he shoved, the big stack is playing very LAG, the other two guys are pretty standard TAG. The table has gone from seeing many flops in the first and second levels to most pots being taken down with a PFR.

My image, I suspect, is that I was mostly loose preflop, but since I lost most of my chips to a beat (AQ < T7 AIPF) I've tightened up. I've shoved twice; once with AQ from the SB after Watkinson limped UTG (he did not call) and once before that with KK from the SB after the donk limped and the big stack raised 4.5x (he called and I doubled through his 99). I also raised KQ in EP once this level and folded when the big stack bet an ATx board.

The hand:
Third level, blinds 75/150. I'm UTG with 1650 chips and QTo. Everyone covers me to various degrees. Given all available information, what's my best play?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: simple preflop question from Aussie Millions prelim event

fold

and this tournament sounds like it sucks
Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 AM

Fold.

And this tournament sounds intrigueing.

Always wanted to a try one of those 'speed' events.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 AM

Ummmmmmmm, u have 11 bets, and a premium hand.

There isnt really a lot to think about.

Cruddy hand utg, can only really shove with 11bb, fold it and move on. It might be different if you were say 5bb, and the blinds were about to cripple you

On another note, why do you think this tourney would suck? At the end of the day, there are two players on your table whom if you bust out by skill/luck/rivering, you pocket another grand.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cruddy hand utg, can only really shove with 11bb, fold it and move on

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?! is that two people in your mind arguing?

Anyway, QTo isn't a premium hand, in any position. Dump this quicker than a girlfriend who doesn't wash.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 AM

QTo is trash, and you're in horrible position, being UTG you have absolutely no information on any of the other player's holdings. I would fold and wait for a decent hand in late position.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cruddy hand utg, can only really shove with 11bb, fold it and move on. It might be different if you were say 5bb, and the blinds were about to cripple you

On another note, why do you think this tourney would suck? At the end of the day, there are two players on your table whom if you bust out by skill/luck/rivering, you pocket another grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

QT is a premium hand when....

You're heads up and both of you have about a 7BB stack.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I folded. I was weighing the merits of a move based on my hand strength, the relative shorthandedness of the table (i.e. greater need to pick up blinds), and their recent tightness.

So, for discussion: What's the weakest hand you would make a move with here? And how short would you have to be before QTo is good enough?

And except for the no-antes part, and some weird stuff that happens at the end, the tournament was actually pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM

~1200 is a push

worst hand here is probably KQ/55
Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I folded. I was weighing the merits of a move based on my hand strength, the relative shorthandedness of the table (i.e. greater need to pick up blinds), and their recent tightness.

So, for discussion: What's the weakest hand you would make a move with here? And how short would you have to be before QTo is good enough?

And except for the no-antes part, and some weird stuff that happens at the end, the tournament was actually pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

From early position (7 handed), I need to be really, really short to move in with QTo. Like 5bb or less short. The hand blows, particularly with 6 players left to act.