Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Vibe after lift inistalled on Jeep Wrangler.

The vehicle: '99 Wrangler
The modifications: 3 inch suspension lift, 1 inch body lift, 33 inch BFG KO's, Tom Wood slip yoke eliminator, HD track bar, drop pitman arm, adjustable front conrol arms.
Note: this is my first lift install on any vehicle.

OK, I installed the lift and everything else but the control arms (they were on backorder). I had a Moab trip planned so I get an alignment done. The Jeep drove ok to and from Moab (6 hours each way), but there was a shimmy or vibe in the front end at all speeds. I anticipated this from what I've read because the front axle was pitched a little due to the lift. The adjustable control arms are supposed to fix this.

I get back from Moab and install the control arms and the ride smoothed out perfectly up until about 55-60 MPH. I was getting a pretty good vibe in the front end over those speeds. I had a pretty badly worn tire, so I thought that it might be the tire.

I now have 4 new tires. The vibe is still there, but not as bad as before the new tires.

I suspect that I need to adjust the conrol arms to fix the vibe. Any thoughts about how to figure out which way to adjust them? Yeah, I can just guess, but it's a rather big job so any advice would be appreciated.

New conrol arms shouldn't effect the alignment, right?

Any other ideas?

For all I know, a vibe like this can be expected from any lifted vehicle but I doubt it.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Vibe after lift inistalled on Jeep Wrangler.

How aggressive are the tread on the tires? Could it be caused from that?

How was the moab trip? I picking up my lift kit this weekend for my 93, I would love to actualyl go out there, might make a little road trip this summer.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How aggressive are the tread on the tires? Could it be caused from that?

How was the moab trip? I picking up my lift kit this weekend for my 93, I would love to actualyl go out there, might make a little road trip this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have BF Goodrich All Terrains. Not overly aggressive by any means. Just a great all-around tire. I've had these on other vehicles and never had a problem with vibrations.

Moab is THE BOMB. I've been there a few times. It's the by far the best place I've been 4-wheeling. If you go, try to go inthe spring or fall when it's not scorching hot. We went in early April last year and it was approaching 100 degrees daily.

How big are you going with your lift?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM

4 inch suspensino lift, its a 93 that Im ripping apart line-ex the interior, new old school copper paint. I think Im going with 33 super swampers, and mickey thompsons. How did your jeep do at moab? I figured that you need like 6inch suspensino lifts, and crazy wheel movement etc. Im a huge jeep guy, have had at least one since I was 16, but I dont get offroad to any "real spots", just whne i go camping etc.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 PM

You'll be fine in Moab with a 4" lift. I was fine with mine. Had a blast and no damage. Of course the more lift the better, but you can do many very, very cool trails with what you'll have.