FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Heads up 5/10 - Am I playing to tight

Absolute Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
2 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (2 players) hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB calls, hero checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: 1BB
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Heads up 5/10 - Am I playing to tight

raise preflop, raise flop, this is a good hand HU.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM

this is way too tight imo
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the information. I play a lot of heads up and short handed. Not sure I'm great at it, know I'm good to ok.

A couple of other facts about this hand.
I'm running like crap against this guy. He's killing me today and has all the momentum on his side.

It's bottom pair. Top pair I come for sure. Middle pair depends on my mood.

I don't think I can get him to lay it down. No matter what comes. Obviously the ace is my dream card.

This hand stood out to me as I reviewed the session I was suprised I didn't call the bet or raise for the free card.

When I think about it. It's bottom pair. With a third nut low draw! It's still vexing me.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 AM

I believe this is a raise preflop, and at minimum a call on the flop also.... would re-evaluate on turn.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the response Dave, I put you in the top 3 people that I admire on this forum.

Not sure if I agree with all of your analysis. I hate raising preflop from the SB and being out of position. I think it's borderline suicide to raise OOP when hands are rarely more than a 60/40 favorite. I only raise with hands like AA, A2, A3 with backup, and one of the aces better be suited.

I do think I wussed out by not calling on the flop or even betting out. I'm sure I have more hands in my database that I played that way then this way.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate raising preflop from the SB and being out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

The HH says you are in the BB. Regardless, I generally feel that 2 wheel cards w/ suitedness are a raise in heads-up O8. While not exactly a premium hand, it has a lot more going for it than a random 4-card combination, thus you should be charging your opponent to play.

[ QUOTE ]
I put you in the top 3 people that I admire on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

do yourself a favor, and don't play like i do!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 AM

i don't know if you're playing too tight or not, but i'm pretty sure you're playing way too passive HU...

...you propably shouldn't ever play as loose or aggressive as i do, but my base line for raising from sb is more or less like A + something, pair + low, dbl-suited lowish connectish, suited wrapish lowish (depending on opps it's more hands or less), but you can safely raise when ever you have an A +wheel card + card higher than 10, pair + 2 wheel cards and dbl-suited with 4 cards between 2-7...

...if you want to be more than 60/40 fav in o8, then you can only raise with AA...

...with 2379s i don't really even mind just limping, but if i don't particularily respect my opp it's ok to raise and no you can't ck-fold that flop or you will get pushed around and you wont get payed with your better hands...

...2379 is only ahead of middle random crap and high only hands (and you don't want them to call either) so for the raise to be correct you need to expect to get paid or be able to push your opp of the pot at some point
Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 AM

My bad in the explanation. I was in the BB, and that is where I hate raising from. I'm out of position the entire hand.

The person I'm playing against I can't make him lay it down. It's hard to make him lay down hands anyway. I've got a couple hundred hands with him in the past and generally kill him.

Today it was a complete wipeout. Lost $169 in 35 hands, I stopped because I was losing in other 3 games I was playing and just felt something was wrong.

I looked back and this was the only hand I felt I misplayed. His catching 3 gutshots on river was the bigger factor.

"Play like you do" Maybe someday. All I used to play was PLO/8. The fluctuations drove me crazy
Old 01-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: is it really an O8 game??

Newb here ...but is it an Omaha8 ring game or Omaha ring game?

HH infers it is Omaha .....not Hi/Lo